t
i
r
r
prettyeyeskk prettyeyeskk
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
To assess Mendel’s law of segregation using tomatoes, a true-breeding tall variety (SS) is crossed with a true-breeding short variety (ss). The heterozygous F1 tall plants (Ss) were crossed to produce two sets of F2 data, as follows.

Set I                 Set II
75 tall         750 tall
21 short         210 short

What is the chi square value for Set I? Should you reject the null hypothesis?
 What is the chi square value for Set II? Should you reject the null hypothesis?
Read 1940 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
To assess Mendel's law od segregation using tomatoes, a true-breeding tall variety (SS) is crossed with a true breeding short variety (ss). The heterozygous F1 tall plants (Ss) were crossed to produce 2 sets of F2 data as follows:
Set I: 30 tall, 5 short
Set II: 300 tall, 50 short
Using the x^2 test, analyze the results for both data sets. Calculate x^2 values and estimate the p-values in both cases.

For set I, the x^2= 2.15, with p being between 0.2 and 0.05. So one would accept te null hypothesis of n significant difference between the expected and observed values.
For set II, the x^2= 21.43 and p<0.001. One would reject the null hypothesis and assume a significant difference between the observed and expected.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1114 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372