d
l
a
s
Parik Parik
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
9 years ago
Hello! I need help, if you will, with unit 7 of my online course (ILC). I am really just looking to see if I am on the right track and when I try these questions on my own I want to confirm I have the right answer. It is really important that I fully understand the concept and do good on the final exam! Thanks for all your help!!!!! Slight Smile Slight Smile Slight Smile

Lesson 7:

21. In humans, the recessive allele that causes a form of red-green colour blindness (c) is found on the X chromosome.
a) Determine the genotype and phenotypes of the F1 generation from a colour-blind father and a mother who is homozygous for normal colour vision.
b) Determine the genotypes and phenotypes of the F1 generation from a father who has normal colour vision and a mother who is heterozygous for colour vision.
c) Draw the possible Punnett squares to determine the genotypes of parents that could produce a daughter who is colour-blind.

22. Hypophosphatemia is a dominant genetic disorder caused by a deficiency of phosphates in the blood. Assuming the other parent is free of the disorder, males with the disorder will pass it on to all their daughters but not their sons. Females with the disorder will pass it on to approximately half their children.
a) Is this pattern of inheritance autosomal or sex-linked? Explain.
b) Draw Punnett squares to show the inheritance pattern of the disorder in each of the two scenarios.
Read 1758 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
So since it is sex linked, it is on the X chromosome, for males they only have 1 copy of the X and one Y when a girl has 2x's, let's label XbY as the color blind male and XBXB as the normal female (B Is normal and b is color blind.) to set up the punnets square put the males on top and girls on the side and do the cross

Xb Y
XB XBXb XBY
XB XBXb XBY

All males are normal while the female are both heterozygotes for the color blind alles
Genotypes are 1/2 XBXb : 1/2 XBY (genotypes describe the GENES)
Phenotypes are 2 normal female : 2 normal males (how they look, or if they are color blind or not)

Normal father: XBY
Heterozygote mother: XBXb (she is a carrier)

XB. Y
XB XBXB XBY
Xb XBXb XbY

Genotypes: 1/4 XBXB : 1/4 XBY : 1/4 XBXb : 1/4 XbY
Phenotypes: 2 normal females : 1 normal guy : 1 color blind guy

Since the girl must be color blind, she must get 2 alleles for the ressessive color blind allele from BOTH parents cause she gets one gene from each, meaning the dad needs to be color blind and the mother needs to be heterozygotes

Genotypes of parents: father is XbY and mother is XBXb

Xb. Y
XB. XBXb. XBY
Xb. XbXb. XbY

Notice one of the girls is XbXb meaning she has 2 copies of the bad color blind allele making her color blind

geno: 1/4 : XBXb : 1/4 XBY : 1/4 XbXb : 1/4 XbXb : 1/4 XbY
Pheno: 1 normal female : 1 normal guy : 1 color blind female : 1 color blind male
Parik Author
wrote...
9 years ago
So since it is sex linked, it is on the X chromosome, for males they only have 1 copy of the X and one Y when a girl has 2x's, let's label XbY as the color blind male and XBXB as the normal female (B Is normal and b is color blind.) to set up the punnets square put the males on top and girls on the side and do the cross

Thank you so much! I got the same answer but with some errors, I will fix them and send them for marking. Thank you!!!!!!
Xb Y
XB XBXb XBY
XB XBXb XBY

All males are normal while the female are both heterozygotes for the color blind alles
Genotypes are 1/2 XBXb : 1/2 XBY (genotypes describe the GENES)
Phenotypes are 2 normal female : 2 normal males (how they look, or if they are color blind or not)

Normal father: XBY
Heterozygote mother: XBXb (she is a carrier)

XB. Y
XB XBXB XBY
Xb XBXb XbY

Genotypes: 1/4 XBXB : 1/4 XBY : 1/4 XBXb : 1/4 XbY
Phenotypes: 2 normal females : 1 normal guy : 1 color blind guy

Since the girl must be color blind, she must get 2 alleles for the ressessive color blind allele from BOTH parents cause she gets one gene from each, meaning the dad needs to be color blind and the mother needs to be heterozygotes

Genotypes of parents: father is XbY and mother is XBXb

Xb. Y
XB. XBXb. XBY
Xb. XbXb. XbY

Notice one of the girls is XbXb meaning she has 2 copies of the bad color blind allele making her color blind

geno: 1/4 : XBXb : 1/4 XBY : 1/4 XbXb : 1/4 XbXb : 1/4 XbY
Pheno: 1 normal female : 1 normal guy : 1 color blind female : 1 color blind male

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  485 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 308