You need to login first

Login information

Haven't yet registered?

Categories

Homework Help Boards (University / College Level)

Biology-Related

Science-Related

Others

Laboratory Help

Non-Homework Help Boards

Notes

Guidance

Discussion

f_zah1
.clay
top posters

Support Us

If you found our community helpful, your small donation will help us reach more students around the globe. You may also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
Pages: 1     Go Down
  New Topic  |  more  
wrote...
Credits: 40
Rep: 

3 years ago
For a more comfortable homework help experience, try HomeworkClinic.com.
what are the answers to the acute asthma attack breathing with inhaler medication applied section... and the breathing during exercise section?

Activity 9:  Comparative Spirometry
   Normal Breathing:
33.  What do you think is the clinical importance of the FVC and FEV1 values? 
34.  Why do you think the ratio of these two values is important to the clinician when diagnosing respiratory diseases? 
Emphysema Breathing:
35.  Is the FVC reduced or increased? 
36.  Is the FEV1 reduced or increased? 
37.  Which of these two changed more? 
38.  Explain the physiological reasons for the lung volumes and capacities that changed in the spirogram for this condition. 
Acute Asthma Attack Breathing:
39.  Is the FVC reduced or increased? 
40.  Is the FEV1 reduced or increased? 
41.  Which of these two changed more? 
42.  Explain the physiological reasons for the lung volumes and capacities that changed in the spirogram for this condition. 
43.  How is this condition similar to having emphysema?  How is it different? 
44.  Emphysema and asthma are called obstructive lung diseases as they limit expiratory flow and volume.  How would a spirogram look for someone with a restrictive lung disease, such as pulmonary fibrosis? 
45.  What volumes and capacities would change in this case, and would these values be increased or decreased? 
46.  In an acute asthma attack, the compliance of the lung is decreased, not increased as it was for emphysema, and air flows freely through the bronchioles.  Therefore, will the FEV1/FVC percentage be less than normal, equal to normal, or higher than normal? 
Acute Asthma Attack Breathing with Inhaler Medication Applied:
47.  Has the FVC reduced or increased?  Is it “normal? 
48.  Has the FEV1 reduced or increased?  Is it “normal”? 
49.  Which of these two changed more? 
50.  Explain the physiological reasons for the lung volumes and capacities that changed in the spirogram with the application of the medication
  • Read 7340 times
  • 7 Replies
Last Edit: 3 years ago by qwerty777
wrote...
Credits: 5095
Rep:  +563  -15 

3 years ago
For normal breathing, you should get:

FVC measures the amount of gases expelled when a subject takes a deep breath and then forcefully exhales maximally and . The ratio of these two values is clinically important in determining whether the subject has healthy lungs, obstructive .

For emphysema breathing, you should get:

6. FVC is reduced. FEV1 is reduced. FEV1 . A person with emphysema has a loss of intrinsic elastic recoil in the lung tissue as well as increased airway resistance; therefore, , they can no longer passively .
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science (Biology)
- Bachelor of Education
wrote...
Credits: 151
Rep:  +1 

3 years ago
duddy may God bless you .you have helped me tramendously
wrote...
Credits: 60
Rep: 

3 years ago
In the asthmatic patient:

FVC is reduced.
FEV1 is reduced.
FEV1 changed more.
wrote...
Credits: 100
Rep: 

3 years ago
I didn't really find what I was looking for in terms of what does the clinical significance of these two values mean. So I did my homework and found this:

In obstructive lung disease, patients have decreased airflow (decreased FEV1/FVC ratio) and usually have normal or above-normal lung volumes.

In restrictive lung disease, patients have decreased lung volumes or TLC with normal airflow (normal FEV1/FVC ratio but with reduced values for both FVC and FEV1 individually).

there is abit more there that is interesting in terms of understand what the heck this stupid assn is supposed to be about. But now this stupid biology forum won't let me post to you the website where I got this. So you'll have to look it up.

Frankly, I can't stand these Pearson experiments. On one hand want us to do this intensive critical thinking and on the other hand don't give us enough data to figure it out. Or perhaps I'm just stupid. Sorry for the rant.
wrote...
Credits: 5095
Rep:  +563  -15 

3 years ago
Or perhaps I'm just stupid.

Naw, don't say that. Simulated experiments always suck in my opinion. I feel the same way about them too.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science (Biology)
- Bachelor of Education
wrote...
Credits: 100
Rep: 

3 years ago
Thanks! Four more weeks of this and I am totally done with this anat and phys gauntlet.
wrote...
Credits: 70
Rep: 

3 years ago
This helped me out a lot thank you!
Pages: 1     Go Up New Topic more