r
d
l
a
s
qwerty777 qwerty777
wrote...
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, qwerty777
what are the answers to the acute asthma attack breathing with inhaler medication applied section... and the breathing during exercise section?

Activity 9:  Comparative Spirometry
   Normal Breathing:
33.  What do you think is the clinical importance of the FVC and FEV1 values? 
34.  Why do you think the ratio of these two values is important to the clinician when diagnosing respiratory diseases? 
Emphysema Breathing:
35.  Is the FVC reduced or increased? 
36.  Is the FEV1 reduced or increased? 
37.  Which of these two changed more? 
38.  Explain the physiological reasons for the lung volumes and capacities that changed in the spirogram for this condition. 
Acute Asthma Attack Breathing:
39.  Is the FVC reduced or increased? 
40.  Is the FEV1 reduced or increased? 
41.  Which of these two changed more? 
42.  Explain the physiological reasons for the lung volumes and capacities that changed in the spirogram for this condition. 
43.  How is this condition similar to having emphysema?  How is it different? 
44.  Emphysema and asthma are called obstructive lung diseases as they limit expiratory flow and volume.  How would a spirogram look for someone with a restrictive lung disease, such as pulmonary fibrosis? 
45.  What volumes and capacities would change in this case, and would these values be increased or decreased? 
46.  In an acute asthma attack, the compliance of the lung is decreased, not increased as it was for emphysema, and air flows freely through the bronchioles.  Therefore, will the FEV1/FVC percentage be less than normal, equal to normal, or higher than normal? 
Acute Asthma Attack Breathing with Inhaler Medication Applied:
47.  Has the FVC reduced or increased?  Is it “normal? 
48.  Has the FEV1 reduced or increased?  Is it “normal”? 
49.  Which of these two changed more? 
50.  Explain the physiological reasons for the lung volumes and capacities that changed in the spirogram with the application of the medication
Read 13439 times
7 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
For normal breathing, you should get:

FVC measures the amount of gases expelled when a subject takes a deep breath and then forcefully exhales maximally and as rapidly as possible; FEV1 determines the amount of air expelled during the first second. The ratio of these two values is clinically important in determining whether the subject has healthy lungs, obstructive pulmonary disease, or restrictive disease.

For emphysema breathing, you should get:

6. FVC is reduced. FEV1 is reduced. FEV1 shows the greatest reduction from normal. A person with emphysema has a loss of intrinsic elastic recoil in the lung tissue as well as increased airway resistance; therefore, while the lungs can expand and fill easily, they can no longer passively recoil and deflate, so that person exhales slowly.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
12 years ago
duddy may God bless you .you have helped me tramendously
wrote...
12 years ago
In the asthmatic patient:

FVC is reduced.
FEV1 is reduced.
FEV1 changed more.
Answer accepted by topic starter
lisa1kaylisa1kay
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 190 words.