O
x
d
s
WhyDidITakeThis WhyDidITakeThis
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Two plants are crosses with the following genotypes.
Organism 1 Aa bb CC Dd ee FF
Organism 2 aa Bb cc Dd Ee Ff
What is the probability of their offspring having the following genotypes?
a. Aa bb cc dd ee ff
b. Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff

I've been trying to figure this out for about 20 minutes now. I don't want to do a Punnett square for this because it would take ages, but I can't figure out the proper formula to use for it. My notes from the slide say something similar to 2^n where n is the number of traits. So I think that means I just would do 2^6 to get the total number of productions, but I have no idea how to find the specific probability of the certain genotypes. I think I may just need to use the ratios that Mendel found and multiply them out, but I'm seriously getting nowhere. Frowning Face Help please.
Read 764 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Hey WhyDidITakeThis,

Could you give us an update on this question. What did you end up writing?

Thanks.
rsb
wrote...
9 years ago
I'd like an update too!

Our prof just assigned us a similar worksheet. Confounded Face
wrote...
9 years ago
I believe what you have to do is figure out the probability of each trait separately and then multiply the probability of these traits together. for example, the probability of getting genotype "B" would be as follows:
1/2 * 1/2 * 1 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/32
This was found either by knowing the ratios or doing the punnet square for each trait. for the first trait Aa X aa would yield Aa 1/2 of the time.

However, the way you wrote the problem and answers, genotype "a" would never be expressed in the offspring. This is because when combining CC x cc the only genotype that would be produced would be Cc. So the genotype cc in genotype "a" would never be seen in the offspring of organism 1 and 2.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Thanks for the update!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  595 People Browsing
 145 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 284