t
S
m
s
Loca Loca
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Discuss the similarities and differences between immunodiffusion and immunochromatographic assays.
Read 2002 times
4 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Hi Loca, while I don't have a specific answer, I happened to find a poster that discusses the effectiveness of the two assays.
Source  1) https://idsa.confex.com/idsa/2012/webprogram/Paper34518.html
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_flow_test
 Attached file 
(638.13 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Loca Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you bio_man!
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

Loca Author
wrote...
8 years ago
This is what I came up with... sorry for the delay, I was wicked busy with mid term and papers.

Both assays rely on the diffusion of antibody molecules, and both involve the formation of antibody-antigen complexes.
The immunodiffusion assay is a type of precipitation assay in which the presence of antigen-antibody complexes results in the development of a visible line of precipitate where the complexes come out of solution.. It can be used to verify the presence of antibodies reactive to specific antigens. The variation known as radial immunodiffusion can be used to measure antibody concentrations. The procedure requires a high degree of skill and is time-consuming.
The immunochromatographic assay detects the presence of antigens rather than antigen-specific antibodies. Antibodies labeled with colored metals form complexes with the antigen, but the complexes do not precipitate out of solution. The soluble, diffusing complexes are trapped and concentrated by anti-antibodies, producing a visible line of color. These immunoassays are very rapid and can be performed by persons with basic clinical skills..
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  770 People Browsing
 110 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?