r
d
l
a
krakenda krakenda
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hi! I know there isn't a kinesiology location on this site, so I hope someone can help me understand this a bit more. I have a lab in my anatomy and kinesiology class.
The question: When a person is going into a standing position from a squat position, the hamstrings are likely inactive throughout this portion of the movement. True or False.
I know the answer is false, but can't really fully explain why. I asked the professor if it was isometric (staying the same length)  but is still active isotonically (the same amount of weight is bearing on it), but he said no. Is it not isometric because the joints are moving? How would you explain it?
I'm very lost. Please help so I can help explain it to others in my class.

Any other tips on how to figure out which muscles are active/inactive, eccentrically/concentrically contracting or a link to good examples would be greatly appreciated as well Slight Smile
Read 484 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
Answer rejected by topic starter
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
When a person is going into a standing position from a squat position, the hamstrings are likely inactive throughout this portion of the movement. True or False.

The squat is not an effective way to work your hamstrings, according to a study in the European Journal of Applied Physiology. Going with True, but for some reason, I still feel the hamstrings do something.

Researchers measured how much the hamstrings were activated during the leg press, an exercise that closely mimics the squat but allows for more consistent form than the actual movement. They found that the hamstrings were only 25 percent as active during the exercise as the quadriceps.

Your hamstrings contract when you bend your knee and lengthen when you bend your hips. To fully recruit them, you need to either dramatically shorten or lengthen the muscle during an exercise. When performing a squat, however, you bend the knee and the hip at the same time, so the length of the hamstring barely changes.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1039 People Browsing
 157 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352