r
d
l
a
Dannyy Dannyy
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Below are questions concerning population genetics. I have my answers but would like other imput before I submit the answers. I appreciate all of the help.

The mean beak depth of a particular finch species is 15 millimeters. Assuming the trait is heritable what would happen to the mean beak depth after several generations of stabilizing selection?

A.The mean should be less than 15mm
B.The mean should be more than 15mm
C.The mean will change randomly
D.The mean should not change

A sea star roams the intertidal zone eating barnacles. The sea star does not care which type of barnacle it finds, it just eats whatever it finds. What type of selection is the sea star exerting on the barnacle population?

A.Diversifying selection
B.Negative frequency dependent selection
C.Artificial selection
D.Oscillating selection

A population of freshwater fish has been drastically reduced in size due to the construction of a dam. However, over time the population numbers rebound. What has happened to the genetic variability in this population?

A.It has decreased
B.It has increased
C.It stayed the same

Male Anolis lizards use dewlap displays to attract females.  If in a single species, males with darker colored dewlaps tend  to display in open habitats and males with lighter colored dewlaps tend to display in forested habitats, the resulting offspring may start to diverge into 2 groups. What could be occurring?

A.random mating
B.Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium
C.Disruptive selection
D.Stabilizing selection

Humans do not follow all of the assumptions of the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium.  What assumptions ARE true for humans?

A.Large population size
B.No mutations
C.Random mating
D.No selection
Read 1700 times
4 Replies
Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Humans do not follow all of the assumptions of the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium.  What assumptions ARE true for humans?

A.Large population size
B.No mutations
C.Random mating
D.No selection

The seven assumptions underlying Hardy–Weinberg equilibrium are as follows:

organisms are diploid.
only sexual reproduction occurs.
generations are non overlapping.
mating is random.
population size is infinitely large.
allele frequencies are equal in the sexes.
there is no migration, mutation or selection.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Male Anolis lizards use dewlap displays to attract females.  If in a single species, males with darker colored dewlaps tend  to display in open habitats and males with lighter colored dewlaps tend to display in forested habitats, the resulting offspring may start to diverge into 2 groups. What could be occurring?

A.random mating
B.Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium
C.Disruptive selection
D.Stabilizing selection

I believe it is Diversifying selection, but the option is not there...
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
A sea star roams the intertidal zone eating barnacles. The sea star does not care which type of barnacle it finds, it just eats whatever it finds. What type of selection is the sea star exerting on the barnacle population?

A.Diversifying selection
B.Negative frequency dependent selection
C.Artificial selection
D.Oscillating selection

Negative frequency dependent selection (the rare phenotypes are less likely to be recognized and eaten)
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free