i
r
r
bruin bruin
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, bruin
Hi there,

I am not talking about mechanoreceptors or nerves that connect to mechanoreceptors.  

Rather I am talking about something like sciatica (where mechanical pressure on the sciatic nerve due to spinal disc herniation causes pain).  Or, another phenomenon that I think might be an example of the same thing, when I apply light mechanical pressure to my eyes it stimulates my optic nerves (right?) and I see "light".

So it seems that mechanical pressure stimulates nerves.  But how, in terms of the resting potential and action potential mechanisms of nerve cells, does this occur?  Does mechanical pressure cause voltage-gated channels to open?  Or is there some other mechanism?
Read 1844 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
I apply light mechanical pressure to my eyes it stimulates my optic nerves (right?) and I see "light".

Yes, that light you see or patterns are known as 'phosphene'.

According to Wikipedia:

Phosphenes result from the normal activity of the visual system after stimulation of one of its parts from some stimulus other than light. For example, pressure on the eye results in activation of retinal ganglion cells in a similar way to activation by light. The pressure applied mechanically stimulates the cells of the retina.

Still not a good explanation. A pinched nerve occurs when pressure is placed on a nerve. There are a lot of articles on pinched spinal cord, but no biological explanation, although one common term that came up was radiculopathy.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1066 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586