l
a
s
catchingferg catchingferg
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hello all,

I am having trouble answering a Kober Lab question for Anatomy and Physiology 2.

The question is:

Why is the Myotactic reflex called a monosynaptic reflex??

- I know that a Myotactic reflex is a muscle contraction in response to stretching within the muscle. It is a monosynaptic reflex which provides automatic regulation of skeletal muscle length.

Would that be my answer? - The myotactic reflex is called a monosynaptic reflex because it provides automatic regulation of skeletal muscle length.

Please Help! Thanks!

Source  Anatomy and Physiology - The Unity of Form and Function - Saladin 6th Edition.
Read 2183 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The stretch reflex (myotatic reflex) is a muscle contraction in response to stretching within the muscle. It is a monosynaptic reflex which provides automatic regulation of skeletal muscle length. Remember, when a reflex arc consists of only two neurons in an animal (one sensory neuron, and one motor neuron), it is defined as monosynaptic. Monosynaptic refers to the presence of a single chemical synapse. In the case of peripheral muscle reflexes (patellar reflex, achilles reflex), brief stimulation to the muscle spindle results in contraction of the agonist or effector muscle. By contrast, in polysynaptic reflex pathways, one or more interneurons connect afferent (sensory) and efferent (motor) signals. All but the most simple reflexes are polysynaptic, allowing processing or inhibition of polysynaptic reflexes within the spinal cord.
wrote...
11 years ago
Hello all,

I am having trouble answering a Kober Lab question for Anatomy and Physiology 2.

The question is:

Why is the Myotactic reflex called a monosynaptic reflex??

- I know that a Myotactic reflex is a muscle contraction in response to stretching within the muscle. It is a monosynaptic reflex which provides automatic regulation of skeletal muscle length.

Would that be my answer? - The myotactic reflex is called a monosynaptic reflex because it provides automatic regulation of skeletal muscle length.

Please Help! Thanks!

I'm working on this right now. Ugh. I thought maybe this could be the answer: Monosynaptic refers to the presence of a single chemical synapse. There is only one synapse between the afferent and efferent neuron, so there is little synaptic delay and a very prompt response.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  810 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204