r
d
l
a
Jinxed Jinxed
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Evaluate and distinguish among the divisions and functions of the ANS (Autonomic Nervous System) and the importance of dual innervations.
Read 2326 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
This is a BIG question Undecided Here's some information to get you going:

Sympathetic

The preganglionic cell bodies of the sympathetic system are located in the intermediolateral horn of the spinal cord between T1 and L2 or L3. The sympathetic ganglia are adjacent to the spine and consist of the vertebral (sympathetic chain) and prevertebral ganglia, including the superior cervical, celiac, superior mesenteric, inferior mesenteric, and aorticorenal ganglia. Long fibers run from these ganglia to effector organs, including the smooth muscle of blood vessels, viscera, lungs, scalp (piloerector muscles), and pupils; the heart; and glands (sweat, salivary, and digestive).

Parasympathetic

The preganglionic cell bodies of the parasympathetic system are located in the brain stem and sacral portion of the spinal cord. Preganglionic fibers exit the brain stem with the 3rd, 7th, 9th, and 10th (vagus) cranial nerves and exit the spinal cord at S2 and S3; the vagus nerve contains about 75% of all parasympathetic fibers. Parasympathetic ganglia (eg, ciliary, sphenopalatine, otic, pelvic, and vagal ganglia) are located within the effector organs, and postganglionic fibers are only 1 or 2 mm long. Thus, the parasympathetic system can produce specific, localized responses in effector organs, such as blood vessels of the head, neck, and thoracoabdominal viscera; lacrimal and salivary glands; smooth muscle of glands and viscera (eg, liver, spleen, colon, kidneys, bladder, genitals); and ocular muscles.

Jinxed Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank You Bio_Man! This is a big boost to get me started! Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
My pleasure, let me know if you need more information.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  881 People Browsing
 190 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293