t
S
m
s
maaad maaad
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
8 years ago
I developed scalp folliculitis 7+ years ago.

Started out as one pimple in the back of the head...then two, then 4...
+ Years later they are all over my head..yellow, pus filled red bumps painful to the touch.  I always thought they were pimples until close to a year ago I had to take antibiotics for a surgery I had.  I took antibiotics for about three weeks.  Immediately after starting the antibiotics all the bumps went away and stayed away for the course of my treatment.  They came back with a vengeance after about a week of finishing the treatment.  I realized then they were not pimples and have been searching online ever since.  I'm convinced I have staph bacteria that is causing it.

I have tried taking turmeric, washing my head with coconut oil, antibacterial hand soap, so TSal shampoo, head and shoulders.  I have tried putting benzoyl peroxide on my head.  It all seems to have helped it a bit but nothing will get rid of it.
Read 4880 times
11 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
It's a bacteria infection, that's what your condition is, and if not treating immediately, it could lead to permenant hair loss. What you need is accutane, it will ride you of all pimples once and for all. However, due to its side effects, which are not major in comparison to permanent scarring and hair loss, it has been banned in some countries.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 years ago
I have tried taking turmeric, washing my head with coconut oil, antibacterial hand soap, so TSal shampoo, head and shoulders.  I have tried putting benzoyl peroxide on my head.  It all seems to have helped it a bit but nothing will get rid of it.

Your condition is skin deep. These products might help exfoliate the outer layers of your skin, and make your skin feel clean, but it won't destroy the bacteria that's brewing underneath those initial layers.

You could also ask your doctor for more of that antibiotic that worked for you initially.
maaad Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, maaad
It's a bacteria infection, that's what your condition is, and if not treating immediately, it could lead to permenant hair loss. What you need is accutane, it will ride you of all pimples once and for all. However, due to its side effects, which are not major in comparison to permanent scarring and hair loss, it has been banned in some countries.

Thanks.  It really does feel that way, skin deep.  All the stuff I had tried offered a little relief but that is about it.  My hair was also thinning out considerably although I haven't lost any of it yet that I can tell. 

I just went to a doctor in Mexico.  I chose him because he had treated me previously when I visited the emergency room in Mexico after I came down with Dengue Fever in 2013. 

That last time, doctors in the US had failed to diagnose the illness.  He diagnosed it merely by listening to what the symptoms were and what surprised me was the non-conventional approach he took to treating it.  He was very clear that there is no cure for Dengue and you can only treat the symptoms.  He prescribed the usual for fever and pain but also a herbal supplement.  In spanish the herb is called Equinacia.  It is supposed to help maintain the number of platelets in the blood as Dengue causes platelets to decline, thinning out the blood to the point where it starts to leak out.  Lab work confirmed his diagnosis but I had already started treatment.

Anyways, I went back to him because of that previous experience and he surprised me yet again.  He told me to buy a specific Mexican brand of clothes detergent and to wash my head with it everyday for the time being.  He was very confident that the detergent would get rid of the bacteria and has prescribed it to many with the same problem as me.  It has only been a few days and I already see a dramatic improvement.  I was at the point of desperation as the itch and tenderness of the bumps was very uncomfortable.  He also prescribed antibiotics but I did not get those to see if the detergent would do the trick all by itself.  It appears to be working like magic.  It cost me $1.50.  The doctor visit cost me $15.  I'm actually very hopeful right now that for the first time in 7+ years I have found something that might actually work.

I looked him up online out of curiosity and he is a graduate of UNAM, the most prestigious university in Mexcio.
Post Merge: 8 years ago

Thank you.  I just started a new treatment that consists of washing my head daily with a Mexican brand of clothes detergent.  I will see how that goes but looks very promising and without the side effects; it is very cheap too.  Sounds somewhat ridiculous, I know.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 years ago
Great! Whatever works is the best policy. I sometimes get breakouts on my face, so if it works for you, it might work for my forehead.

Accutane is a proven, effective cure on acne, but keep in mind the side-effects.

I wouldn't lose faith in American doctors just yet. Dengue fever isn't common in America, hence it's not the first choice of diagnosis.

Please report back with results!
maaad Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Great! Whatever works is the best policy. I sometimes get breakouts on my face, so if it works for you, it might work for my forehead.

Accutane is a proven, effective cure on acne, but keep in mind the side-effects.

I wouldn't lose faith in American doctors just yet. Dengue fever isn't common in America, hence it's not the first choice of diagnosis.

Please report back with results!
You're right.  As a matter of fact, I had the good fortune of being operated on recently by an excellent surgeon in Florida.  I flew there from Texas as he is among the few that are very experienced at an alternative inguinal hernia repair procedure called Desarda Repair that does not use surgical mesh.  I had a great experience and don't feel it was overpriced. 
Sadly though, I have had some bad experiences with doctors in my local area.  I'm from a small Texas city of 35K or so and healthcare is not very good here.  I have gotten better care across the border and at far lower prices.

I'll report back on the progress.  I doubt that it will make a good acne treatment though.  The detergent can be harsh on facial skin.  When I started out I was washing my hair 3 times a day with it.  The doctor only said to do it once a day but I figured it might work faster that way and I was desperate for some relief.  After about 3 days I noticed a little rash on the back of my neck, probably due to the excessive washing.  Since by then it appeared to be working I turned it down a notch by washing only twice a day and avoiding the soap from getting on my neck.  I have to say, the scalp folliculitis appears to be almost gone after only 6 days.  Yesterday my wife inspected my head and was surprised she only found 3 white pustules; I had many more before starting the treatment.  The bumps no longer hurt and I do not feel the constant tenderness and itchiness I felt before.  Very relieved.  At the time I was skeptical and jokingly told the doctor I would gift him something if it in fact did work.  Looks like I'm gonna have to go shopping for a bottle of wine pretty soon Slight Smile 
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, bio_man
I have to say, the scalp folliculitis appears to be almost gone after only 6 days.  Yesterday my wife inspected my head and was surprised she only found 3 white pustules; I had many more before starting the treatment.  The bumps no longer hurt and I do not feel the constant tenderness and itchiness I felt before.  Very relieved.  At the time I was skeptical and jokingly told the doctor I would gift him something if it in fact did work.  Looks like I'm gonna have to go shopping for a bottle of wine pretty soon

That's amazing, dude! However, don't get lazy, if you stop the treatment prematurely, the bacteria could come back with a vengeance! You'd be selecting for the meanest, strongest strain if you stopped and then they reappeared. Keep using this treatment until EVERYTHING is gone.
maaad Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I have to say, the scalp folliculitis appears to be almost gone after only 6 days.  Yesterday my wife inspected my head and was surprised she only found 3 white pustules; I had many more before starting the treatment.  The bumps no longer hurt and I do not feel the constant tenderness and itchiness I felt before.  Very relieved.  At the time I was skeptical and jokingly told the doctor I would gift him something if it in fact did work.  Looks like I'm gonna have to go shopping for a bottle of wine pretty soon

That's amazing, dude! However, don't get lazy, if you stop the treatment prematurely, the bacteria could come back with a vengeance! You'd be selecting for the meaning, strongest strain if you stopped and then they reappeared. Keep using this treatment until EVERYTHING is gone.

Yup, the wife and I were just discussing that.  She was wondering if I would have to use the detergent forever since these type of infections appear to be very persistent.  It is a rather unconventional treatment;  I wasn't handed a prescription or written instructions.  The doctor listened attentively to the problem I have lived with for 7+ years, smiled and said.  Go to the supermarket and buy this clothes detergent and wash your head with it.  Among other things, he said he had "prescribed" it many times before to people that had scalp folliculitis due to bacteria or fungus infections.  He said "it even makes their hair grow back".  I assume that he meant only for people that suffer from scalp fulliculitis since the ailment is known to cause hair loss.  He then commented that he uses it himself every so often.  Don't know the reason why he uses it but am thinking it might just be better hygiene.  I then asked if I should wash every day with it and he said, "at the moment, yes, then you can use it a couple times a week or so after the bumps go away".  I don't know if I will have to use it forever but if so, I can live with washing my hair with it every other day.  I was concerned that I would have to get on antibiotics and experience what many others have said in other forums, that the antibiotics clear up the problem but that it comes back meaner after you stop taking them and that it just becomes an ongoing thing.  I've decided to continue using it for a week after everything has cleared.  Then if any bumps reappear I'll use it ongoing for a couple time a week.  I'll update you in a week.
maaad Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Update:

Roughly 3 weeks ago my head had white pustules and red bumps all over and up to the hair line.  My hair was thinning out.  The itch was constant and uncomfortable and the bumps felt very tender; even when I was not touching them, I could feel them.  If I pressed on them they hurt.

I began using the detergent on the 22nd of April, I think.

For the first 4 days I was washing my hair three time a day.  I started to notice considerable improvement in the way my scalp felt after those four days.  The itch was not as bad anymore and the tenderness was also better.  At that point I noticed a rash on the back of my neck due to washing too much.

I began washing only twice daily.  From day 4 to day 7 there was great improvement in the number of bumps and pustules on my head.

From day 7 to day 21 (present), progress has been steady.  The itch is gone.  The tenderness is gone.  The white pustules are gone.  My hair and scalp feels normal again. 

I still get 1-3 small red bumps but they are usually gone within a day or two.  They are small and aren't bothersome.  At the moment I don't have any but I did have 3 two days ago.  It used to be that they took a very long time to go away only to be replaced by new ones but now they go away in 1 to 2 days.  I'm still washing twice a day.

Since I opted to not take the antibiotics the Dr had prescribed, I'm taking garlic supplements and just started another supplement that consists of cod liver oil but there is no doubt that what is doing the trick in keeping the scalp folliculitis under control is the detergent.

I'll update in another week or so.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 years ago
Hello again, maaad.

I just received news that a family member also has this problem and that his doctor prescribed antibiotics. His symptoms are similar to the ones you described. Could you tell me what detergent your doctor recommended so that I could pass this information on to my cousin?
maaad Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Hello again, maaad.

I just received news that a family member also has this problem and that his doctor prescribed antibiotics. His symptoms are similar to the ones you described. Could you tell me what detergent your doctor recommended so that I could pass this information on to my cousin?

Sure man...here's the link where you can buy it and have it shipped to you.  I bought mine in Mexico but its the same thing.  It is much more pricier here though.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/7245.html

Word of caution: The doctor did not tell me to wash more than once a day, I did that out of desperation.  I do not have sensitive skin.  Do not leave it on over prolonged periods of time.  I lather between 20-60 seconds and rinse off completely. 

Like you said, it's important to follow a regimen.  I have not missed one day of washing since I started.  My guess is that if he takes the antibiotics prescribed and washes with this, the bumps will be gone much sooner.  You did not mention if he had tried antibiotics in the past; if he has never tried them before, perhaps that alone might work for him/her...I don't know.  What I know is that I took antibiotics in the past that cleared up the infection only for a short while and it came back more aggressive.  Hope that helps.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 years ago
That's perfect, thanks for the info. It's the first time it has happened to him, so I'm assuming he hasn't used antibiotics before for this purpose. He had a deep laceration on his head due to a car accident that happened two years ago, which scarred his scalp. That's probably a mode of entry for the bacteria.

I will let him know about it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  830 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 156

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?