a
t
i
r
r
bunton33 bunton33
wrote...
13 years ago
The Na+/K+ ATPase (the sodium pump) moves 3Na+ out of and 2K+ into cell cytoplasm. Each ion moves up its electrochemical gradient. In a normal cell, why don't Na+ ions enter and K+ ions leave the cell (each going down its concentration gradient) by way of this transporter? Explain in detail the characteristics of this active transporter that preclude reverse flow of the ions under normal cellular conditions. There are two different reasons why the transporter cannot run in the reverse direction?
Read 1411 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
1) The binding site for Na+ ions is located inside the cell (so facing the cytoplasm) whereas the binding site for K+ is facing the outside (extracellular space). There are three Na+ binding sites and two K+ binding sites.

2) The binding site for ATP is located within the cell (facing the cytoplasm).

Are these valid reasons or is your professor looking for something different?
bunton33 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
these seem valid to me and should suffice. so why dont they leave by way of the transporter? because the binding sites our on the inside?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Sorry bunton33, but I don't quite understand your last post:

so why dont they leave by way of the transporter? because the binding sites our on the inside?
bunton33 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
my apologies. i was asking why the Na+ and K+ ions do not leave the cell by way of the Na+/K+ ATPase transporter?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Na+ ions do leave by way of the transport, whereas K+ ions enter.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  951 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274