t
i
r
r
Danyael Danyael
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
It was just taught to us that we are alive because we can breathe or move or whatever. How can you say that we are alive just because we do understand that we are? What if there's no life? What if it's just understanding itself together with other natural mechanisms? What if understanding is a natural mechanism too for survival because our genes' priority is to reproduce?
Read 551 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, bio_man
Not sure whether to approach question in the metaphysical sense or biologically, so I searched for a definition on Wikipedia and was quiet surprised how it encompassed many of my thoughts:

Life is a characteristic distinguishing physical entities having biological processes (such as signaling and self-sustaining processes) from those that do not, either because such functions have ceased (death), or because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate. Living things are composed of one or more cells, undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, can grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce (either sexually or asexually) and, through evolution, adapt to their environment in successive generations.

That's why we can confidently say that we're alive. Rocks, for instance, obviously don't have these regulating processes that living things do.
Danyael Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Not sure whether to approach question in the metaphysical sense or biologically, so I searched for a definition on Wikipedia and was quiet surprised how it encompassed many of my thoughts:

Life is a characteristic distinguishing physical entities having biological processes (such as signaling and self-sustaining processes) from those that do not, either because such functions have ceased (death), or because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate. Living things are composed of one or more cells, undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, can grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce (either sexually or asexually) and, through evolution, adapt to their environment in successive generations.

That's why we can confidently say that we're alive. Rocks, for instance, obviously don't have these regulating processes that living things do.

Thank you for that wonderful answer. I just want a clear answer that does life itself really exist even without the concept of life being made.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I would assume so, bacteria are alive yet they don't have the ability to think. In fact, we're the only animals capable of thinking that way.
Danyael Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I would assume so, bacteria are alive yet they don't have the ability to think. In fact, we're the only animals capable of thinking that way.

That's the thing. We can just say that we are alive because we had the ability to think that we are and that bacteria are too. If bacteria do not even know that they are alive, then people just made the concept out of it to describe ourselves living things.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Arguably, every definition found in the dictionary is a human construct. "Living things are composed of one or more cells, undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, can grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce (either sexually or asexually) and, through evolution, adapt to their environment in successive generations." Collectively, these observations / characteristics define every extant and extinct species.

wrote...
8 years ago
Just because we are human doesn't mean we are not animals.

We live just as other animals do.
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago
Just because we are human doesn't mean we are not animals.

We live just as other animals do.

We are animals. No one argued against that.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Danyael Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Arguably, every definition found in the dictionary is a human construct. "Living things are composed of one or more cells, undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, can grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce (either sexually or asexually) and, through evolution, adapt to their environment in successive generations." Collectively, these observations / characteristics define every extant and extinct species.

Yes, there is a basis to explain how something is alive; but isn't life a man-made concept that can still be mistaken or misunderstood just like an optical illusion?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Yes, there is a basis to explain how something is alive; but isn't life a man-made concept that can still be mistaken or misunderstood just like an optical illusion?

Example...
Danyael Author
wrote...
8 years ago

Example...

The understanding of life itself as we see how it works.
wrote...
8 years ago
There isn't absolute answer for this question, so we can't say anything.
Danyael Author
wrote...
8 years ago
There isn't absolute answer for this question, so we can't say anything.

My point is that we won't even know that we are alive if it wasn't taught to us.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1028 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741