r
d
l
a
Frank_Baker Frank_Baker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
My friend saw this article http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/06/exploding_artichoke/
and says this is proof spontaneous human combustion is possible because it proves phosphine is produced biologically.
Read 902 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
My friend saw this article http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/06/exploding_artichoke/
and says this is proof spontaneous human combustion is possible because it proves phosphine is produced biologically.

It doesn't mention that (a), and (b) that isn't proof of anything.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
No, I meant my friend said that
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
You normally believe everything your friends tell you?

If the story is true, which I doubt given the source, there could be countless non-biological explanations. I can assure you it isn't exploding bacteria.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
 Not exploding bacteria, but a gas produced by bacteria which auto-ignites on contact with oxygen. (Phosphine)
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
If evolution has taught us anything it's that features exist in organisms to help them survive and reproduce. How does producing a deadly gas that's easily ignitable promoting survival and replication. Logic alone dedicates that it's impossible.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
There's phosphine in the atmosphere and marsh gas is said to contain a lot of it, where's it come from?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I've never heard of an exploding marsh.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Will-O-Wisp.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
More information required, no idea what that is, even after a Wikipedia search.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
People sometimes see flames appear over certain marshes. The leading theory is bacteria in the marsh produce phosphine, and when this phosphine bubbles to the surface, it auto-ignites on contact with air, producing the flame.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Yes, and that supposedly is proof of 'phosphine' and spontaneous combustion. Could you please tell me where you get your ideas from?
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Wikipedia - Phosphine
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Nice try, but I think you know what I meant, these folklore burning marshes make no mention of 'phosphine' or anything. Marshes are know for their CH4 emissions. It's all in your head...
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1089 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images