s
r
d
l
Frank_Baker Frank_Baker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
To be more specific, say I had a glass that was 40% ATP and the other glass was 40% of whatever enzyme breaks down ATP. The reaction (by logic) would be extremely rapid so what would be the temperature of the glass after the reaction? Would the enzymes be able to produce a temperature above 150 degrees given the extreme rapidness of the reactions? (The bombardier beetle for instance can produce a fluid that is about 95 C, via a very rapid enzyme reaction. Normally enzymes stop working at 50 C.)
Read 638 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
What makes you think logic will dictate that the reaction will be rapid?
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Concentration / rate of reaction
The bombardier beetle uses the same principle, high concentration of enzymes meeting a high concentration of the substrates they break down (it produces a reaction that meets nearly the boiling point of water)
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
True. Here's a breakdown from Wikipedia:

The spray is produced from a reaction between two chemical compounds, hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide, which are stored in two reservoirs in the beetle's abdomen. When the aqueous solution of hydroquinones and hydrogen peroxide reaches the vestibule, catalysts facilitate the decomposition of the hydrogen peroxide and the oxidation of the hydroquinone. Heat from the reaction brings the mixture to near the boiling point of water and produces gas that drives the ejection.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, two separate chemicals are made. Once they mix, heat is released.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
8 years ago
The 'catalysts' are enzymes. Mostly catalase which decomposes the HP and the decomposition creates heat.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I see. I doesn't burn itself, apparently due to split-second pauses in-between bursts (firing between 368 and 735 pulses per second) which allows it to cool down.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  997 People Browsing
 167 Signed Up Today
Related Images