t
i
r
r
gseymour gseymour
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
The authors Wade, Tavris, and Garry (2014) state, “We are like fish that are unaware they live in water, so obvious is water in their lives. Sociocultural psychologists study the water—the social and cultural environments that people ‘swim’ in every day” (p. 20). Describe two examples from your personal experience that illustrate how cultural rules influence the way we perceive the world and relate to others.
Read 528 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Describe two examples from your personal experience that illustrate how cultural

One example that I can think of off the top of my head is the cultural difference of shaking hands when greeting someone. In our culture it is deemed polite to extend one's hand in a handshake either to say hello or when exiting as a goodbye. I have found that in some cultures they do not make any contact or they do not shake the left hand. In Japan and China they bow were as here in the United States we perceive this as being something foreign to us. Some European cultures even kiss on each cheek. When I met someone from Germany and they did the double cheek kiss it took me back a step, it was not something that I was used to growing up in the south. I would love to add a second personal experience but to be completely honest I do not have one. I have lived in the south most of my life and it was kind of sheltered.

M, C. (2014, April 23). 5 Greeting Customs From Around the World. Retrieved 14 September 2015, from http://psychologymuffins.com/5-greeting-customs-from-around-the-world/

Wade, C., Tavris, C., & Gary, M. (2014). Psychology (11th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: PearsonEducation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1146 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352