a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
8 years ago
LIGO, which stands for the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory, is a large-scale physics experiment aiming to directly detect gravitational waves.

Let assume laser go straight line within our dimension, if gravity wave distorts our dimension on earth, the path for laser travel would also be distorted too and laser run S-shape instead of straight line alone this distorted dimension. From our view point, laser still run in a straight line, because laser always arrives at a fixed point at the end of tunnel for LIGO, so it should not be any difference in term of time with the same travel distance alone the distorted dimension. Therefore, I don't understand why LIGO project uses this approach to detect gravity wave, there is no way to detect any time difference with gravity wave's influence.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 652 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Hello oem7110,

I found this read interesting. Let me know if it contributes to any ideas.

GRAVITATIONAL WAVES: RIPPLES IN THE FABRIC OF SPACE-TIME

Albert Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational waves in 1916 as part of the theory of general relativity. He described space and time as different aspects of reality in which matter and energy are ultimately the same. Space-time can be thought of as a "fabric" defined by the measuring of distances by rulers and the measuring of time by clocks. The presence of large amounts of mass or energy distorts space-time -- in essence causing the fabric to "warp" -- and we observe this as gravity. Freely falling objects -- whether a soccer ball, a satellite, or a beam of starlight -- simply follow the most direct path in this curved space-time.
When large masses move suddenly, some of this space-time curvature ripples outward, spreading in much the way ripples do the surface of an agitated pond. Imagine two neutron stars orbiting each other. A neutron star is the burned-out core often left behind after a star explodes. It is an incredibly dense object that can carry as much mass as a star like our sun, in a sphere only a few miles wide. When two such dense objects orbit each other, space-time is stirred by their motion, and gravitational energy ripples throughout the universe.

In 1974 Joseph Taylor and Russell Hulse found such a pair of neutron stars in our own galaxy. One of the stars is a pulsar, meaning it beams regular pulses of radio waves toward Earth. Taylor and his colleagues were able to use these radio pulses, like the ticks of a very precise clock, to study the orbiting of neutron stars. Over two decades, these scientists watched for and found the tell-tale shift in timing of these pulses, which indicated a loss of energy from the orbiting stars -- energy that had been carried away as gravitational waves. The result was just as Einstein's theory predicted.

HOW LIGO WORKS

LIGO will detect the ripples in space-time by using a device called a laser interferometer, in which the time it takes light to travel between suspended mirrors is measured with high precision using controlled laser light. Two mirrors hang far apart, forming one "arm" of the interferometer, and two more mirrors make a second arm perpendicular to the first. Viewed from above, the two arms form an L shape. Laser light enters the arms through a beam splitter located at the corner of the L, dividing the light between the arms. The light is allowed to bounce between the mirrors repeatedly before it returns to the beam splitter. If the two arms have identical lengths, then interference between the light beams returning to the beam splitter will direct all of the light back toward the laser. But if there is any difference between the lengths of the two arms, some light will travel to where it can be recorded by a photodetector.

The space-time ripples cause the distance measured by a light beam to change as the gravitational wave passes by, and the amount of light falling on the photodetector to vary. The photodetector then produces a signal defining how the light falling on it changes over time. The laser interferometer is like a microphone that converts gravitational waves into electrical signals. Three interferometers of this kind were built for LlGO -- two near Richland, Washington, and the other near Baton Rouge. Louisiana. LlGO requires at least two widely separated detectors, operated in unison, to rule out false signals and confirm that a gravitational wave has passed through the earth.

Source

http://www.ligo-la.caltech.edu/LLO/overviewsci.htm
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
HOW LIGO WORKS

The space-time ripples cause the distance measured by a light beam to change as the gravitational wave passes by, and the amount of light falling on the photodetector to vary. The photodetector then produces a signal defining how the light falling on it changes over time. The laser interferometer is like a microphone that converts gravitational waves into electrical signals. Three interferometers of this kind were built for LlGO -- two near Richland, Washington, and the other near Baton Rouge. Louisiana. LlGO requires at least two widely separated detectors, operated in unison, to rule out false signals and confirm that a gravitational wave has passed through the earth.

The main issue is here, if the surface of this dimension on earth is distorted, the path of laser light would also be distorted, so there should not be any distance changed as the gravitational wave passes by.  Therefore, there is no point to measure any changing distance at all.

Do they assume that laser light can pass through the fiber of space-time?
Under a distorted fiber (dimension), I think that the traveling path of laser light would also be distorted too.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Talk a look at this video:

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?article=1170 (you'll need to scroll down).

It demonstrates how matter warps space-time. If you were to shot a laser along that plane, I'm unsure whether it will get distorted or not.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, oem7110

It demonstrates how matter warps space-time. If you were to shot a laser along that plane, I'm unsure whether it will get distorted or not.

It makes logical sense that laser would get distorted along that plane too.

By observing the end point of tunnels, when the plane is distorted, the end point of tunnel would be shifted into different location, which move alone with the distorted plane, but the laser point at the end of tunnel would keep monitored and measure time, so laser at the end of tunnel must be fixed at the same point for measurement.  That is enough to prove that the traveling path of laser would also be distorted along the distorted plane.

On the other words, if laser travels in a straight line within distorted plane, that means that laser can travel across the space-time fiber, which does not make any sense, since the laser at the end of tunnel always arrived at the same point to be observed for measurement.

What do you think?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I think what you're imagining here is a black hole (correct me if I'm wrong), and you're wondering if concentrated light in the form of a laser could escape being sucked in - distorting its direction. I don't think anything can escape a black hole, including light.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I think what you're imagining here is a black hole (correct me if I'm wrong), and you're wondering if concentrated light in the form of a laser could escape being sucked in - distorting its direction. I don't think anything can escape a black hole, including light.

so laser would also be distorted its direction within distorted space and time, therefore, the approach to detect gravity wave from LIGO is incorrect, since laser travel distance is never changed under distorted space and time and they are never able to detect any gravity wave under LIGO by measuring the time difference from laser traveling within tunnel, and it is true that they never find one under LIGO.

The strange thing is that they spend many dollars to build several LIGO projects in different locations, but noone seems understanding this issue.

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
That might be the purpose, shooting light into space and seeing were it bends can give evidence to a black hole. I don't think they even discovered one as of yet, it's just a theory.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
That might be the purpose, shooting light into space and seeing were it bends can give evidence to a black hole. I don't think they even discovered one as of yet, it's just a theory.

It is not possible to detect whether the shooting light is bended or not within a distorted space and time, since we need comparison as a benchmark to define what a straight line is in space. Without comparison, we cannot tell that shooting light is bended.

Do you have any comment?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
True. According to one source, the purpose of LIGO is to detect cosmic gravitational waves and to develop gravitational-wave observations as an astronomical tool. It works by shooting a laser into perpendicular mirrors, each 21/2 miles away. Scientists measure how long it takes photons from the lasers to travel the distance, and a variation in the time could be evidence of a gravitational wave. I think that's pretty cool.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, oem7110
True. According to one source, the purpose of LIGO is to detect cosmic gravitational waves and to develop gravitational-wave observations as an astronomical tool. It works by shooting a laser into perpendicular mirrors, each 21/2 miles away. Scientists measure how long it takes photons from the lasers to travel the distance, and a variation in the time could be evidence of a gravitational wave. I think that's pretty cool.

but I disagree their approach to detect gravity wave on measuring how long it takes photons from the lasers to travel the distance.

Laser would be travel within our space dimension, I assume that if our space and time fiber is distorted, then the traveling path of laser would also distorted too, but laser still move in a straight line within out distorted dimension, therefore, the approach to detect gravity wave from LIGO is incorrect, since laser travel distance is never changed within distorted dimension and they are never able to detect any gravity wave under LIGO by measuring the time difference from laser traveling within tunnel, and it is true that they never find one under LIGO.

This is the point I raise for discussion.

Do you have any comment?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1361 People Browsing
 130 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?