s
r
d
l
a
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, oem7110
Referring to following video, I would like to know on how to protect your eyes during sun gazing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Post Merge: 8 years ago

Read 952 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Hi again...

Personal opinion, I think sun gazing is stupid idea - the energy from the sun could damage your eyes and make you go blind, like Galileo.

The best way to protect your eyes is to wear sun glasses.

Why are you indulging in this practice?

oemBiology Author
wrote...
Personal opinion, I think sun gazing is stupid idea - the energy from the sun could damage your eyes and make you go blind, like Galileo.
The best way to protect your eyes is to wear sun glasses.
Why are you indulging in this practice?

They mention that the following period would be safe for Sun gazing:
If sunrise is at 5 am, it would be safe for sun gazing before 6 am - UV is 1
If sunset is at 6 pm, it would be safe for sun gazing after 5 pm - UV is 1
Other period would be dangerous for sun gazing.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>

"Galileo did observe the Sun using his telescope, but did so when the Sun was almost on the horizon at sunrise and sunset. This was around the year 1612 (at the age of 48). Soon he discovered the projection technique and started detailed solar observations using this technique. After a year of him observing the Sun, Galileo documented numerous drawings of Jupiter and its four satellites. This could not have been possible if Galileo had lost his sight while observing the Sun."

https://nikhilpawar.wordpress.com/2008/05/15/the-cause-of-galileos-blindness/

The problem with Galileo is using telescope to observe the Sun, which magnify the intensity of light into the eyes.

NASA Confirms -Super Human Abilities Gained
http://guardianlv.com/2013/05/nasa-confirms-super-human-abilities-gained/

Ever wanted to be in more than one place at a time?  That’s right, I’m talking about the super-human abilities that can be gained by those who follow the protocol for what’s known as sun-gazing, a valid practice recently confirmed by NASA.  Many proponents of this ancient technique, used by many cultures such as Mayan, Egyptian, Aztec, Tibetian and Indian yoga, report not only healing benefits to common illnesses, but obtaining super-human abilities such as advanced telepathy and going completely without the need for food.

What is Sun Gazing?

Sun gazing (also known as sun-eating) is a strict practice of gradually introducing sunlight into your eyes at the lowest ultraviolet-index times of day – sunrise and sunset.  Those who teach the practice say there are several rules to the practice.  First, it must be done within the hour after sunrise or before sunset to avoid damaging the eyes.  Second, you must be barefoot, in contact with the actual earth – sand, dirt or mud; and finally, you must begin with only 10 seconds the first day, increasing by 10 second intervals each day you practice.  Following these rules make the practice safe, says sources.

Nikolai Dolgoruky of the Ukraine calls himself a ‘sun-eater’.  He has been practicing sun gazing for the past 12 years and has largely subsisted off solar energy since he began.  Others have reported losing the need for food after only 9 months of sun gazing (by which time the practitioner has worked up to a maximum of 44 minutes).  After 9 months of practice, you need only walk barefoot on the earth for 45 minutes per day, 6 days in a row to further the process of what has been initiated by sun gazing.

Sun-gazing is a practice also called the HRM phenomenom, coined as such after Hira Ratan Manek, the man who submitted himself to NASA for scientific testing to confirm that he does indeed possess the almost ‘super-human’ ability of not eating, gained through his dedication to this interesting marvel.  Funded by NASA, a team of medical doctors at the University of Pennsylvania observed Hira 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 100 days.   NASA confirmed that he was indeed able to survive largely on light with occasionally a small amount of buttermilk or water during this time.

What happens to the body during Sun Gazing?

What’s Beyond Healing?

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
It's an unsafe practice that has no benefits in today's age. I appreciate the sources you provided, though fact remains, Galileo was blind as a result of his ignorance. I believe that if Galileo knew about UV rays and the damage they can cause, he would have chosen a different means of collecting data. Please outline the benefits of this practice the way you see it...
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
It's an unsafe practice that has no benefits in today's age. I appreciate the sources you provided, though fact remains, Galileo was blind as a result of his ignorance. I believe that if Galileo knew about UV rays and the damage they can cause, he would have chosen a different means of collecting data. Please outline the benefits of this practice the way you see it...

Benefit as shown below :>

Do you have any comment?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I still think it's a bad idea. Sunlight is linked to vitamin D levels. Sunlight helps your body make vitamin D, but this vitamin is ubiquitously found in so many food sources nowaday, it's not crucial to be out in the sun all day, sun gazing.  The human eye is however very sensitive, and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can lead to solar retinopathy, pterygium, cataracts, and even blindness. Studies have shown that even when viewing a solar eclipse the eye can still be exposed to harmful levels of ultraviolet radiation
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I still think it's a bad idea. Sunlight is linked to vitamin D levels. Sunlight helps your body make vitamin D, but this vitamin is ubiquitously found in so many food sources nowaday, it's not crucial to be out in the sun all day, sun gazing.  The human eye is however very sensitive, and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can lead to solar retinopathy, pterygium, cataracts, and even blindness. Studies have shown that even when viewing a solar eclipse the eye can still be exposed to harmful levels of ultraviolet radiation

If UV is below 1, would it be safe?
I would like to know on what matter from the Sun is harmful to eye during sun gazing, so I can measure their levels for safety.

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Below one is definitely safe, however, if you're looking directly into the sunlight, it's still bad for your eyes. Here's a general guideline I found online.

UV Index Description Sun Protection Actions
0 - 2 Low
  • Minimal sun protection required for normal activity.
  • If outside for more than one hour, wear sunglasses and sunscreen.
  • Reflection from reflective surfaces (e.g. fresh snow) can nearly double UV strength. Wear sunglasses and apply sunscreen.
3 - 5 Moderate
  • Take precautions - cover up, wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen especially if you will be outside for 30 minutes or more.
  • Look for shade near midday when the sun is strongest.
6 - 7 High
  • Protection is required as UV radiation damages the skin and can cause sunburn.
  • Reduce time in the sun between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. and take full precautions. Seek shade, cover up, wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
8 - 10 Very High
  • Extra precautions are required as unprotected skin can be damaged and can burn quickly.
  • Avoid the sun between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. and take full precautions. Seek shade, cover up, wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
11+ Extreme
  • Values of 11 or more are very rare in Canada. However, the UV Index can reach 14 or more in the tropics and southern U.S.
  • Take full precautions. Unprotected skin will be damaged and can burn in minutes. Avoid the sun between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m., cover up, wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
  • White sand and other bright surfaces reflect UV radiation and increase UV exposure.

UV-A

Can hurt your central vision. It can damage the macula, a part of the retina at the back of your eye.

UV-B

The front part of your eye (the cornea and the lens) absorbs most UV-B rays, but these rays may cause even more damage to your eyes than UV-A rays.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
I would like to know on what difference eye structure is between human and bird.  It seems that some bird's eye keep open all the time, if they are flying on the sky, why UV do not cause any harm to bird's eye?

It is special true to fly's eye.

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
For one, birds have the largest eyes relative to their size within the animal kingdom. In fact, many eagles and hawks have eyes nearly the same size eyes as humans.

This allows them to have a large image on the retina, allowing better visual acuity.

Shape - the bird eye is more aspherical than the human eye. The flatter shape allows more of the visual field to be in focus.

Lens and cornea - much the same as in humans. The shape change of the lens required for accomodation (change in focal length) is mediated via the ciliary muscles in both. Some birds can change the shape of their corneas as well, but not hawks.

Retina - the retina is composed of photosensitive cells called rods and cones. Humans have about 200,000/mm^2 while hawks an astounding 1,000,000/mm^2! This much improves their visual acuity and give s them fantastic long distance vision.

Rods and cones - rods are light sensitive and cones colour sensitive, to put it very loosely. Hawks have 80% cones, which gives them better colour perception in good light, but poor night vision. Owls by contrast have almost all rods. And the human eye has a whopping 95% rods (120 million rods, 6 million cones).

Retrachromaticity - humans have three types of light sensitive pigments on their cone, which respond to different ranges of wavelengths of light. Birds have four (pigeons five)  including one in the UV spectrum.

This allows them to see UV light as well, which humans do not. This improve their identification of shapes and textures.

Oil droplets - avian cones have additional oil droplets in them, not seen in humans. This acts somewhat like a filter on a camera- it narrows the spectrum of light passed to the cone. Since different cones have different oils, there is much less overlap in the wavelengths that fall on them. Birds are so able to discern far more colours than we do.

Fovea - humans have an area in the eye with the greatest density of photoreceptors. This is where light falls when we are focusing on some object and gives the best acuity. Hawk eyes have two foveae! This allows them to maintain focus on a moving object or at high speed.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Retrachromaticity - humans have three types of light sensitive pigments on their cone, which respond to different ranges of wavelengths of light. Birds have four (pigeons five)  including one in the UV spectrum.

This allows them to see UV light as well, which humans do not. This improve their identification of shapes and textures.

I want to see what this world look like with five types of light sensitive pigments.
Is there any device on market to capture those images?

Furthermore, why do birds' eyes not be damaged by UV? since birds look at the sky all day.

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I want to see what this world look like with five types of light sensitive pigments.
Is there any device on market to capture those images?

Check out these cameras - http://www.flir.com/instruments/display/?id=56784

Furthermore, why do birds' eyes not be damaged by UV? since birds look at the sky all day.

I believe it has to do with the pigments in their eyes. I have attached a study that discusses this in detail
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Thank you very much for suggestions :>
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  992 People Browsing
 157 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352