t
i
r
r
rizza mae rizza mae
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
continued... between them? What are they used for, from where they originate and what are their chemical formulas and properties? Thanks.
Read 2041 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Lactose is a sugar. So is sucrose, found in cane sugar, fructose found in fruits, maltose found in the brewery industry, starch found in potatoes and glucose found in our blood. Sugars come under the Biochemical name of carbohydrates and they are a very essential source of energy for every living being. However, carbohydrates is the name to cover many different sugars, of different sizes, weights, shapes and properties but they come under three families.The main monosaccharides are glucose, fructose and galactose. Adsorption of sugars in healthy persons occurs almost exclusively in the the small intestine. Adsorption is limited to the monosaccharides glucose, fructose and galactose. They are large molecules and can only cross cell membranes when a "carrier protein" is present. These are very specific and do not react with and transport other sugars.

monosaccharides - made up of one single block of sugar
wrote...
11 years ago
The difference between them is the molecular structure of the sugar... the unique structure of that sugar warrants a unique name....their chemical formulas are numerous, I know glucose is C6H12O6, but off the top of my head...not sure about the rest... and the difference between poly and mono saccherides is based on the chain of the sugar whether it is a singular molecule or a chain of molecules linked together...
hope this helps...
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1552 People Browsing
 123 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion