l
a
s
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
Hello everyone Slight Smile

I would like to ask about the whole second-year of a master degree thing where we're about to work on a project for 9 months! 

Who helps us assign/formulate a question to work on using experiments? What if the question we're going to test out is being worked upon by other labs from other universities? I know what field and what portion of the field I will be working on, but the actual question that would be the title of my thesis is still a blur. My advisor has assigned to me a topic. And told me to read about it. I am reading.  And the information is a little repetitive. And some papers have been painfully detailed. Should I stress on these details? Should I write anything important and document it for later? Or should I just skim through to have an idea for now and then worry about details and writing stuff down? How does reading enough feel? I have rotated in my advisor's lab. And he has  a PhD student working on my topic. We will be overlapping. How would I separate from her work? I could not seem to stop worrying about these issues. Could someone please explain how things go during the second year of a master's degree program? And what we're supposed to be doing to maintain a healthy attitude towards the whole thing and keep it a positive memory rather than a terrifying one with lots and lots of anxiety and panic attacks?

Slight Smile Many thanks in advance
Read 1921 times
3 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
That's a question you might want to ask an instructor. It depends on them whether or not you need to focus on certain details or not. The common knowledge you exhibit will determine the outcome of the due process for which you can contribute to your group and/or project
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Should I stress on these details?

Stress on them only if they're important to *your* research.

So many questions, I wish I could answer them for you!

What did you end up finding out after asking the lead professor?

Please share your experience.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
Hello TeslaBrain, thank you very much for your input =)
 Hello bioman Slight Smile No worries about these questions..
Turns out, it only takes a little bit time to get the answers.. My advisor ultimately defined the project for me. It was just a matter of meetings to settle the topic and narrow the parameters.
I was first asked to do a major literature review, and then week by week he started adding to my reading assignments and I started going in depth... Now, I have my own project and have begun working on it.. slowly..
The first time performing your own experiments can get very dramatic and confusing at times..Familiarizing yourself  with and optimizing protocols and mastering techniques is a little overwhelming, but I am guessing it gets better with time *fingers crossed*
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  738 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?