S
m
s
sjardine sjardine
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Ok so this is the first question.
1. In a randomly mating population of mice, 6 out of every  100 mice born have white fur, a recessive trait. Calculate the heterozygous frequency for the population.
So what I did was
6/100= .006
square root is .244
1-.244=.756
my answer is 75%

2. I have no idea how to even start so if some one could walk me through this I would greatly appreciate it.
A dominant allele, T, codes for the ability to taste the compound phenylthiocarbamide (PTC). People who are homozygous for the recessive allele, t, are unable to taste PTC. In a genetics class of 170 students, and 23 cannot taste the PTC. Calculate the expected frequencies of the T allele in the student population

Thanks for any help!!
Read 952 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
1. According to hardy-weinberg principle p2+ 2pq+ q2 = 1
Here frequency of recessive allele,(q=recessive , p=dominant), q= square root of (6/100) = .244
So frequency of dominant allele p is (1-.244)= .756
Heterozygous condition means 2pq, So the frequency is 2*(.756)*(.244)= 0.368 or 36.8%

2. Taste blindness of PTC or Phenyl Thiocarbamide is a genetic trait.
People with TT & Tt can taste its sour taste. But people with tt can't.
Here (23/170)*100 % or 13.52% can't taste it. So frequency of t = square root of (13.52/100) = .135
Hence frequency of T is (1-.135)= .864
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, Mephesto
Avradeep got it right in the first one the answer is 36,8%

However the second problem has a flaw. The answer is that the T alele ( marked as p for dominant) has the frequency of 0,63 or 63%.So p=0,63.

The number of students N is
N=170
the number of resessive homozygotes is 23
the percentage of recessive homozygotes in your population is thus:
Y=23/170=0,135%.
To get the frequency of the recessive allele q according to HV equlibrium you need to square root your Y, in your case 0,135 and you will get 0,367. So your resessive q allele frequency is q=0,367.
To get the opposite frequency of the dominant allele wich you lack is simple. The sum of frequencys must build up to 1. So p + q = 1. You have q so to get p you need to subtract your q from 1 to get: p = 1 - q = 1 - 0,367 = 0,633.
So the freq. of the dominant allele p is 0,63
wrote...
8 years ago
Hi Mephesto.. I don't understand why are saying that the percentage is .135% in case of the recessive allele.
For example if I say that 50 students out of 200 can't solve a question..what will be the percentage of students who can't solve it? Of course it is (50/200)*100%=25%
So please justify you are saying that the percentage of homozygous recessive allele Y=23/170=.135%
This method you have used is against the rules of maths. I am expecting a prompt reply.
wrote...
8 years ago
Hi Mephesto.. I don't understand why are saying that the percentage is .135% in case of the recessive allele.
For example if I say that 50 students out of 200 can't solve a question..what will be the percentage of students who can't solve it? Of course it is (50/200)*100%=25%
So please justify you are saying that the percentage of homozygous recessive allele Y=23/170=.135%
This method you have used is against the rules of maths. I am expecting a prompt reply.

Hello there

My apology. I was refereing to genotype frequency but I dubed it percentege not knowing that it can create confusion with that % symbol added.

It doesn't change the fact that your equation wrong. The square root of 13,5/100 is not 0,135.
 It's 0,367...
wrote...
8 years ago
Yes..You are right ..I had done wrong calculations... Sorry for wrong answer...  Flushed Face
wrote...
8 years ago
Yes..You are right ..I had done wrong calculations... Sorry for wrong answer...  Flushed Face

Oh there is no need to be sorry...You explained the Hardy-Weinberg pretty well with your formulas and surely the original poster got the answer he was looking for. I am glad that there are people on this forum that posses knowledge regarding population genetics.
I would love to know your opinion about a topic I started on the Environmental and Conservation Biology subforum:
Can you help me choose the right population genetics and statistical method

I am working with relative allele frequencys there also. If you could spare some of your time and look in to it I would be very grateful. Cheers!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1055 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 144

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?