S
m
s
mfizdale mfizdale
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Hello all,

I'm currently in the market for a computer that is very powerful and has lots of memory. I will be spending one year in China, and when I was just there my Chinese friends recommended Lenovo's with 16gb ram. I will be at a Field Station (with an elevation of 3200m), and the only computers that worked well were the powerful Lenovo's.

The main things that I will be using the computer for are:
- R statistical software
- Programs related Bioinformatics
 -Programs used for Systematics and Phylogenetic Analyses
- Storing lots of High Resolution Photographs

Ideally, I'd like it to be good enough to last me for 3-4 years. I'd like to be using it for when I enter a doctoral program, so I want something that is of good quality.  I don't want a Mac though....any thoughts?
Read 897 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 years ago
Thinkpad will not disappoint. I've been using Thinkpads since the early 2000s. I'm not a fanboy of the brand, but it simply works, does the job right, and is sturdy.
wrote...
8 years ago
Maybe I just had bad luck, but the only thinkpad I bought has given me problems. I don't think brand matters in your case but capacity. Especially if you are storing a lot of photos, you will want a good amount of memory.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, bio_man
Maybe I just had bad luck, but the only thinkpad I bought has given me problems. I don't think brand matters in your case but capacity. Especially if you are storing a lot of photos, you will want a good amount of memory.

Ever since the takeover by Lenovo, Thinkpads have degraded in quality and usability, hence I emphasize with you. Still it's all I've ever used, so I still recommend them. The computer that I use now is the latest Thinkpad of its kind, and I can honestly say that it's disappointing. They're trying to become more and more like Apple computers, they've lost their originality.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1103 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 585