t
i
r
r
Victor43 Victor43
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Hello. I have no experience as a cellular biologist nor have any lab experience or knowledge. However I would like to know how would one go about finding out what is needed in order to test the following foods mostly for human cells (any kind) :

1. How can I examine the following food items (Bran Flakes, Granular Sugar, Granular Salt, Ice Cream and chocolate) under a microscope to see if it contains bacteria cells, virus cells and human cells.

2. Is it possible to dissolve the above solid food products so that they can be examined under a microscope (what type) and tested for the above type of cells.

3. Does anyone know of commercial laboratory in North America which can do this for a low or cheap cost ?
Read 2893 times
11 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
1. How can I examine the following food items (Bran Flakes, Granular Sugar, Granular Salt, Ice Cream and chocolate) under a microscope to see if it contains bacteria cells, virus cells and human cells.

You'd need to take a swab of the food items on smear the swab on a petri dish containing nutrients to see if anything would grow on the dish. You cannot directly view bacteria on food items with a normal light microscope.

2. Is it possible to dissolve the above solid food products so that they can be examined under a microscope (what type) and tested for the above type of cells.

Sure, to dissolve meat you'd need proteases. To dissolve starches, for instance, you'd need amylases. These enzymes can be purchased easily.

3. Does anyone know of commercial laboratory in North America which can do this for a low or cheap cost ?

Try your luck at a university.
Victor43 Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Hello bio_man. Thank you for the responses. It gives a better idea as to what is involved in testing for the above. I would like to ask one further question which I have related to human cells and cellular biology ?

If you had the following scenario what would be the answer ? If a human embryonic stem cell was introduced to another person body by way of consumption or by injection and this embryonic stem cell was able to survive the host body's immune system defense and was capable of producing the many other 200 or about types of human cells in this foreign human body. Who's DNA would be newly produced cells in the host's body contain ? The biological DNA of the host body or the DNA of the donor of the embryonic stem cell or is there another factor which is involved that I am unaware of ?

Thanks again for the previous response.

Victor

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Who's DNA would be newly produced cells in the host's body contain ? The biological DNA of the host body or the DNA of the donor of the embryonic stem cell or is there another factor which is involved that I am unaware of ?

Hey again!

The donor's DNA would be introduced to the recipient. By consumption is wouldn't work because the undifferentiated tissue would get digested.
Victor43 Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Who's DNA would be newly produced cells in the host's body contain ? The biological DNA of the host body or the DNA of the donor of the embryonic stem cell or is there another factor which is involved that I am unaware of ?

Hey again!

The donor's DNA would be introduced to the recipient. By consumption is wouldn't work because the undifferentiated tissue would get digested.

Hello bio_man could you explain why if the stem cells are contained in water for example and consumed/digested why could these cells not take up host in our bodies or at the very least begin to generate the other types of cells and take their appropriate places in our bodies ? Are you absolutely sure that embryonic stem cells would not survive and begin generating other types of cells which our bodies require ?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Hello bio_man could you explain why if the stem cells are contained in water for example and consumed/digested why could these cells not take up host in our bodies or at the very least begin to generate the other types of cells and take their appropriate places in our bodies ?

That's simple, because the cells wouldn't make it past the stomach acids. The acids would denature the stem cells, which is the same reason why some drugs need to be injected via needles to work effectively.
Victor43 Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, Victor43
Hello bio_man could you explain why if the stem cells are contained in water for example and consumed/digested why could these cells not take up host in our bodies or at the very least begin to generate the other types of cells and take their appropriate places in our bodies ?

That's simple, because the cells wouldn't make it past the stomach acids. The acids would denature the stem cells, which is the same reason why some drugs need to be injected via needles to work effectively.

Oh ok. Many thanks. bio_man would you recommend a proper microscope which would allow samples of city tap water to be examined for ALL types of microscopic particulates (man made) and human cells, bacteria, parasites in water ?

Thanks again
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Any high-power light microscope will do. Keep in mind that techniques must be followed to view different types of specimens. In other words, it isn't as easy as putting a drop of water on a microscope slide and focusing light on it.
Victor43 Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Thanks bio_man. Can you tell me for a novice like myself where can I read about these techniques you have mentioned. Is there a website that can provide some details or perhaps a book for beginners like myself ?

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Aha, where to begin, this is a big question.

You'll need to purchase slides and coverslips along with your microscope, that's a must.

The main methods of placing samples onto microscope slides are wet mount, dry mount, smear, squash and staining (link on preparation).

While I don't like recommending commercial sites, this one appears to be the most thorough.

Keep note of oil immersion, it's very important when viewing single-celled microorganisms like yeast and bacteria and can easily be performed with a compound microscope at 100X
Victor43 Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, Victor43
Aha, where to begin, this is a big question.

You'll need to purchase slides and coverslips along with your microscope, that's a must.

The main methods of placing samples onto microscope slides are wet mount, dry mount, smear, squash and staining (link on preparation).

While I don't like recommending commercial sites, this one appears to be the most thorough.

Keep note of oil immersion, it's very important when viewing single-celled microorganisms like yeast and bacteria and can easily be performed with a compound microscope at 100X

Thanks very much bio_man. Just one last question does the link you have provided work for you ? I get a page cannot be displayed. Just a quick question about this site does it have downloadable materials which share details about testing procedures and testing equipment required ?

http://www.microscopemaster.com/microscopy-imaging-techniques.html
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Yeah, they both work fine, I just checked the links again - try another browser. They don't contain PDFs if that's what you're asking about, but they do provided general information on the techniques I mentioned above. Hopefully it will be enough to inspire you to further research each on individually, though I believe the website does a good enough job.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1143 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352