t
i
r
r
IliasN IliasN
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Hello everyone, hope you are doing well!
So, recently i have been studying genetics and i run into a sentence which can not understand. I would pretty much appreciate a clarification:
"The  mutation  rate  (  μ  )  is  usually  expressed  as  an  incidence
giving the number of mutations at a locus per million gametes
produced per generation. The mutant gene frequency reflects
the balance between the introduction of new mutant genes to
the population and the loss of mutant genes from the population
when an affected individual fails to reproduce.
"

What does the sentence in bold try to say ? Thanks for your time!
Read 285 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
No idea Undecided I understood the first sentence though. I'm assuming you're using this textbook: https://books.google.ca/books?id=77Dvq_OoMnYC&pg=PT238&lpg=PT238&dq=%22giving+the+number+of+mutations+at+a+locus+per+million+gametes+produced+per%22&source=bl&ots=MNND3kg05i&sig=8Wq_BDV862D0Nknxllx2kOipISk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAGoVChMIg-rlhrnXxwIVCzs-Ch2bMQrn#v=onepage&q=%22giving%20the%20number%20of%20mutations%20at%20a%20locus%20per%20million%20gametes%20produced%20per%22&f=false

IliasN Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Yup, this is the book i am studying... I don't know, I am either stupid or the sentence indeed does not make any sense whatsoever..
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Yup, this is the book i am studying... I don't know, I am either stupid or the sentence indeed does not make any sense whatsoever..

I wouldn't be too concerned. Afterall, it's a single sentence, and it's possible that the author doesn't know either due to its ambiguity Face with Stuck-out Tongue
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1090 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?