r
d
l
a
itachiuchiha itachiuchiha
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Hello everyone. So I have this AP Biology summer assignment and I'm confused about some of the questions:

1. The scientists responsible for decoding the genetic code were
(A) Beadle and Tatum
(B) Watson and Crick
(C) Shields and Yarnell
(D) Darwin and Wallace

2. Cells reproduce asexually by process of
(A) meiosis
(B) mitosis
(C) sporogenesis
(D) abiogenesis
(E) segagenesis

3. Sweat glands of sea birds concentrate salt from the blood and then excrete it outside of the body. What process allows this concentration of salts?
(A) diffusion
(B) osmosis
(C) active transport
(D) dialysis

Use the following organ system choices for the questions that follow
A. circulatory     B. nervous     C. digestive     D. skeletal       E. muscular

1. smooth, striated or cardiac

2. allows movement

3. peristalsis
Read 596 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
1. The scientists responsible for decoding the genetic code were
(A) Beadle and Tatum
(B) Watson and Crick
(C) Shields and Yarnell
(D) Darwin and Wallace

B
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
2. Cells reproduce asexually by process of
(A) meiosis
(B) mitosis
(C) sporogenesis
(D) abiogenesis
(E) segagenesis

B
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
3. Sweat glands of sea birds concentrate salt from the blood and then excrete it outside of the body. What process allows this concentration of salts?
(A) diffusion
(B) osmosis
(C) active transport
(D) dialysis

A
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Use the following organ system choices for the questions that follow
A. circulatory     B. nervous     C. digestive     D. skeletal       E. muscular

1. smooth, striated or cardiac

2. allows movement

3. peristalsis

3 > C
2 > D
1 > E
wrote...
8 years ago
I want to say a thing that Marshall Nirenberg was the person who decoded the genetic code. He was accompanied with Johann H. Matthae. For that they got Nobel Prize in 1962. So I think that the options are wrong. Here is a link for reference:
http://www.nobelprize.org/educational/medicine/gene-code/history.html
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
8 years ago
Upwards Arrow ye but most textbooks say its watson and crick
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Can anyone else confirm my answers?
itachiuchiha Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Thanks guys so much for the help! But can someone explain why "allows movement" would be the skeletal system and not the muscular or nervous system?

And for #3, could someone explain why it would be active transport and not dialysis.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
You're welcome!

nervous system

Conducts the electrical impulses in your body. It's too vague of a system for this role. The skeletal system includes your joints. The joint allows movement in all directions, that was my reasoning.

(A) diffusion
(B) osmosis
(C) active transport
(D) dialysis

Is ATP required for this process? I don't think so. In active transport, concentrations move against their concentration gradient. This isn't the case here.
itachiuchiha Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Oh oops I thought you said that the answer was active transport, my bad. Why wouldn't dialysis be the process for #3. Dialysis is the process of removing waste products and excess fluids from the body. Isn't this what the seabirds are doing when they are concentrating the salt in their blood and excreting it?
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago
Isn't this what the seabirds are doing when they are concentrating the salt in their blood and excreting it?

Not in this case. I think Bio_man is right. Whenever they speak of water, concentration, and salt, it's probably best to choose either diffusion or osmosis.

By the way, please choose a better topic title next time since this one gives us no insight on the question, and limit to 2 questions per thread.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
itachiuchiha Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Oh ok thank you! And sorry I'll keep that in mind next time I post.
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago
Oh ok thank you! And sorry I'll keep that in mind next time I post.

Cool
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1082 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion