d
l
a
s
Avradeep Avradeep
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, Avradeep
I was reading the evolution of human. Well, I noticed a trend ( which I think is the most important aspect of human evolution) is the increasing cranial capacity. The capacity gradually increased and thus more intelligent , skilled, efficient ancestors of human were formed.
But the most recent direct ancestor of modern human i.e. Cro-magnon man ( Homo sapiens fossilis) had more cranial capacity (~1650 cc) than modern human (1300-1600 cc).
The trend in evolution tells that the cranial capacity for modern man should have been more than Cro-magnon man. Let's assume that it might have been remained the same.
But why the cranial capacity decreased??
Evolution always helps to form greater & advanced species.
But in this case if we consider the cranial capacity, it seemes that our ancestors were more intelligent and cultured than us. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE??
And if my assertion is wrong than at least explain me why the capacity decreased?
So in the end my questions are---
1. WERE CRO-MAGNON MEN MORE ADVANCED THAN HOMO SAPIENS SAPIENS?
2. WHY THE CRANIAL CAPACITY DECREASED DEFYING THE LAWS OF EVOLUTION?
Read 709 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
8 years ago
Would you consider a neanderthal a cro-magnon?

Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
8 years ago
Its not exactly about cranial capacity. Yes it is some what... but its more about brain efficiency and ability to learn, think, invent, educate others... ect. The increased cranial capacity allowed for our increased brain development and smarts, yes this is true.. but at some point it was simply big enough for homo sapiens and we surpassed the neanderthals thinking capacity.
Avradeep Author
wrote...
8 years ago
No. Please note that I am not referring to Neanderthal. They had cranial capacity of ~1400 cc. They were in Pleistocene .
But Cro-magnon were in Holocene..i.e. The epoch we are living in.
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, biolove
Cro-magnon

they are the earliest of humans

they would be able to interbreed with humans today

i just read the wikipedia article. it says

>> However, recent research suggests that the physical dimensions of so-called "Cro-Magnon" are not sufficiently different from modern humans to warrant a separate designation.

so maybe the difference in capacity isn't significant after all
Avradeep Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Thanks...all of you. My doubts have been cleared.  Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  791 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431