r
d
l
a
lukebingaman lukebingaman
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Weird question: if proliferation of the smooth ER increases tolerance to drugs (such as alcohol) by adding hydroxyl groups (this makes toxins more soluble), would drinking a combination of water and baking soda increase tolerance to toxins such as alcohol, or no because bases only accept hydronium ions and don't donate hydroxyl groups?
Read 1048 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I don't get it, how would that prevent its tolerance?

I realize that the SER increases in size over time due to exposure of a drug or chemical. Depending on the drug, the way it is neutralized in the SER varies. For example, if we're talking about alcohol, there are enzymes found in hepatocytes that neutralize it - I'm assuming they are contained in the SER.

Please explain the chemistry behind your question.
lukebingaman Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I know that detoxification is one of the main functions of the SER. I also knew that the process of detoxification is carried out via the addition of hydroxyl groups to the solution. Perhaps I mistakenly conflated the two (detoxification by the SER and the addition of hydroxyl groups). They may be disparate functions. Is the addition of hydroxyl groups not equivalent to the acceptance of hydrogen ions?
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Is the addition of hydroxyl groups not equivalent to the acceptance of hydrogen ions?

Detoxification doesn't necessarily mean the addition of OH groups. (Maybe for certain compounds?)

They are not equivalent. The addition of hydroxyl -OH means you're adding oxygen and hydrogen to a preexisting atom found in that molecule.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1185 People Browsing
 106 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4