S
m
s
MyUnname MyUnname
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Warning! Wall of text!

Ever since I was young I always liked computers. It started with websites, went to programs, ended up on operating systems, now I'm trying to comprehend Assembly. At age of 16 I became "that guy" who you call for computer-help.

I went to school where they promised to teach us C#, .NET (yes I know), Java. Where I ended up helping people with their programs and even people that were there already 3rd year (the entire study-duration is 3 years) have used my hints that helped them. I decided to quit this study as I concluded that their education may not have as severe effect (in positive way) as I expected.

I've dropped off school and have yet 6 years to choose one or another, otherwise I'll pay huge penalty (paid education costs change into lean). I got pulled to Gamedeveloper study by ex-classmate, where I would use programming languages, contact API-like system and make sure models move and sun is shining etc.

But now I'm sitting here, in-front of my screen. Being 18 years old. Wondering. I know already so much and problems with 3rd year-programmer's programs apparently aren't that big problem. Gamedevelopper will probably be the same, it will be only about getting used to game engine's API, nothing more.

So I was wondering. Should I stick with game development, choose another coding related study or choose study entirely not related to coding?

Before you wonder off to very popular answer, a.k.a. "Do whatever you enjoy, if you enjoy it, you do it good, and if you do it good, you'll be happy.", here's the problem. I'm learner, I like knowledge, I could become tutor, programmer, photographer, 2nd Jack the Ripper.

I don't have problems with adapting to new knowledge. I feel like I could do anything if I could just learn it (unless my competence, IQ, physical factors don't allow). But I have no feeling (neither positive nor negative), whether I should pursue my IT-related study. I feel like I know already enough to just easily adapt other programming languages one by one and I don't feel like I need any assistance by a tutor as I have already have found brilliant IT knowledge sites where people are more than ready to help.

I think that I would enjoy Gamedevelopment. And so far my concern goes I'd happily do it. However, I might spend those 3 years more on something that is more vital/enjoyable.

So here's the shorten question: Should I go for Gamedevelopment, choose another coding-related study or choose non-coding related study?

I said it somewhere in this slap of text above. I could do anything, that doesn't mean I'd enjoy doing it. That's why I'm asking for your opinion and ideas to choose from.
Read 948 times