r
d
l
a
Influenza^^ Influenza^^
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Hi everyone. I really love science but it turns out science does not love me.
I was the sort of student that was achieving good grades in my studies (undergraduate and
post-graduate) but never sought attention from Professors through asking meaningless
questions or admiring them in order to attract attention. I was sort of quite, minding my own business and trying to achieve good grades. In the lab things are going brilliant, all my experiments work and I am preparing for my first publication. I opted to do my masters in a small lab with
a lab supervisor that I was certain she would teach me everything she knew and would take my training seriously. Now I am searching for a PhD and went for more "popular" labs in the research center. They turned me down and prefered students that had higher GPA and more impressive CV (like getting a bunch of scholarships). They did not even give me a chance to prove how good I am when it comes to experiments and scientific thinking. They opted for the students I mentioned eventhough they could see that their performance in the lab was mediocre and were even bragging that they had the best students. So now I am searching for a PhD abroad in a different field because the current masters thesis field has no future in terms of funding. I am rejected over and over and just started thinking that if I had a good reference from a "prestigious"
Professor, I could enhance my chances. So I am thinking that if I was seeking attention back then and constantly asking questions to demonstrate better my interest in science, maybe these people might have a different opinion for me. Did I get everything wrong? Should I have turned myself into a smiling, highly competitive, attention-seeking and self-centered student back then?
Am I doing it wrong for being decent and minding my own business?
Read 1590 times
6 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Being vocal is important in all aspects of life, but I think you answered your own question. You said that students with higher GPAs got ahead of you. It was their grades that helped the professors determine who they wanted to work with. Fortunately, however, that's not always the case. I knew of a girl who wasn't as bright as me and wasn't as smart as me get her name published in Science as an undergraduate. She had volunteered since year-1 and eventually built her status in the eyes of the lead researcher she worked with. Of course I never planned on becoming a research, so I didn't care much to impress anyone but myself. At the end of the day, I think being sociable helps people remember you.

Look, don't give up on your dream. If it is not financially taxing on you, you should continue to pursue it.
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago
Hi there,

Before you do anything irrational, do you have a backup plan?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Influenza^^ Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, Influenza^^
I keep the fact that being vocal is important. I realized that the tough way through job interviews etc. However, what is beyond my comprehension is the fact that Professors opt for students with high GPAs and impressive CVs without caring whether that person can actually pippet properly. There was one case that one such person was admitted in a very good lab and was consistently forgetting the enzymes outside the refrigerator, was mixing up solutions and doing electrophoresis wrong. Yet Professors are more willing to give opportunities to these people and make allowances for them rather than give opportunities to people with lower GPAs. I am only asking you if that is fair. Having a higher GPA does not mean you are smarter. You just studied harder that's it. It does not also mean that you are more skilled in wet lab techniques and scientific thinking in comparison with a person with a lower GPA. You just recited several biology books and have a pool of knowledge. Whether you know how to use and combine this knowledge with research that is a completely different story that definately a GPA and a CV alone cannot tell.
Post Merge: 8 years ago

No back-up plans. I just want to discover if it is worth trying anymore. I have started to think that a scientist needs more qualities in order to advance and I don t know if I posses these qualities which is why I initiated the discussion.
wrote...
Staff Member
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, duddy
I am only asking you if that is fair.

Of course it isn't fair. Higher GPA usually suggests a higher IQ in the eyes of these professors, so that might take its toll when choosing the right partners. With that assumption, professors feel it's better in invest in someone that can refine his/her skills over time, than someone with a lower GPA, but knows the right techniques.

You could speak to some of your old professors to see if they have anything for you. It might not work towards a master's degree or PhD, but if working in a lab is your passion, there are ways in. You probably would be right at home working part-time, for instance, as a lab technician (I'm sure that's not what you're looking for though Frowning Face)
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Answer accepted by topic starter
eurocoineurocoin
wrote...
8 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 110 words.