d
l
a
s
chromatid21 chromatid21
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
I recently encountered a question that said something along the lines of "All of the following are true about the modern theory of evolution EXCEPT" and the answer I picked was "sexual reproduction is necessary". I believed this was false because bacterial reproduction is mostly by binary fission, an asexual process, but bacteria evolve to become immune to antibiotics extremely fast. Was I right in saying that? Sorry that I don't remember any of the other answers.
Read 416 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
8 years ago
Reproduction is necessary in evolution. In order for a species to evole, they have to pass on their traits to the next generation. While other types of reproduction are possible, sexual reproduction is important. I do see a valid argument you have presented in the answer you gave, I just wonder if a better answer that was not only sometimes true could have been chosen.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
I believe your assessment is false based on the premise that bacteria do reproduce sexually sometimes. During conjugation, a plasmid gets transferred from one bacterium to another. I'm not sure, but you can make the argument if you like.
wrote...
8 years ago
Evolution does not require sexual reproduction. The requirements for evolution are variation and a selective pressure.

Variation occurs simply by DNA copy errors in organisms that reproduce asexually. And selective pressures always exist.

So no evolution does not require sexual reproduction. Sexual reproduction, however, drastically increases the variety that can then be selected for (much more variation than simple copy errors). And the fact that sexual reproduction is so common is evidence of its efficacy in generating useful variation.
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Sexual reproduction introduces variation in any population. That said, it fuels natural selection.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  741 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?