l
a
KTIE KTIE
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Review Sheet Exercise 8
Chemical and Physical Processes of Digestion
The following questions refer to activity 1: Assessing Starch Digestive by Salivary Amylase.
1.   At what Ph did you see the highest activity of salivary amylase? Why?
2.   How do you know that the amylase did not have any contaminating maltose?
3.   What effect did boiling have on enzyme activity? Why?
4.   Describe the substrate and the subunit product of amylase.
The following questions refer to activity 2: Assessing cellulose digestion.
5.    Does amylase use cellulose as a substrate? Explain.
6.   Did freezing have an effect on the activity of amylase? Explain.
7.   Do you think that the bacterial suspension contained the enzymes cellulose (an enzyme that digests cellulose)? Why or why not?
8.   What is the substrate of peptide? Explain, base d upon your results.
Protein Digestion by Pepsin
The following questions refer to activity 3: Assessing Protein Digestion by Pepsin.
9.   At which Ph did you see the highest activity of pepsin? How does this correlate to the location of pepsin in the body?
10.   What effect did boiling have on pepsin?
11.   Was there any digested BAPNA containing the pepsin or deionizer (DI) water? How can you tell?
12.   What is the substrate in this experiment? What is the usual substrate for pepsin, and what subunits are formed with pepsin activity?
13.   What was the effect of decreasing the incubation time on the optical density results?
14.   What effects would decrease incubation temperature have on pepsin activity? Why?
15.   What was the significance of using 37 degree C for the incubation?
Fat digestion by pancreatic lipase and the action of bile
The following question refer to activity 4: Assessing fat digestion by pancreatic lipase and the action of bile
16.   Describe the activity of lipase with and without the addition of bile salts. Refer to chart 4 for Ph values.
17.   Is the activity of bile a chemical or a physical process?  Explain.
18.   What Ph resulted in the maximum pancreatic lipase activity? How does this optimal Ph correlate to the enzyme`s location in the body?
19.   Explain whether or not we can determine fat hydrolysis in tube 5. Why or why not?
20.   What is the substrate in the experiment? What subunits does lipase form?
Physical Process; Mechanics of food propulsion and mixing
The following question refer to activity 5: Studying mechanism of food propulsion and mixing: deglutition (swallowing).
21.   Explain the significance of the movement of the tongue during swallowing.
22.   Describe three events that occur during the pharyngeal-esophageal phase of deglutition.
23.   What was the time interval that you recorded between the first and second sound.

Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 30858 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
There is a post with the answers for almost all exercises i believe already on here, its under the  anatomy and physiology search forum, and is by mb2005 jellyfish, i believe that's who posted it. hope this can help you
Alyssa
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
12 years ago
KTIE -- specific questions to activities only, not the whole thing! Face with Rolling Eyes
KTIE Author
wrote...
12 years ago
ok thanks Alanna still have trouble to find it.

Sorry Biolove did i have to erased some of them.

KTIE Author
wrote...
12 years ago
please help me with activity 3,4 and 5.
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
12 years ago
Activity 3: Exploring Instrinsic Controls: Renal Autoregulation (p. 120)

9. 129.61 mm Hg

13. 151.24 mm Hg

14. Increase/decrease in the afferent radius, increase/decrease in the efferent radius.

16. Afferent radius 52 mm; Efferent radius 52 mm

Activity 4: Exploring the Role of the Solute Gradient on Maximum Urine Concentration Achievable (pp. 121–122)

9. When ADH is present, urine concentration increases as the interstitial gradient increases.

Check this out: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=2963.0
KTIE Author
wrote...
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, KTIE
Activity 3: Exploring Instrinsic Controls: Renal Autoregulation (p. 120)

9. 129.61 mm Hg

13. 151.24 mm Hg

14. Increase/decrease in the afferent radius, increase/decrease in the efferent radius.

16. Afferent radius 52 mm; Efferent radius 52 mm

Activity 4: Exploring the Role of the Solute Gradient on Maximum Urine Concentration Achievable (pp. 121–122)

9. When ADH is present, urine concentration increases as the interstitial gradient increases.

Check this out: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=2963.0

Thanks but that is not exercise 8 i have them in my post it review sheet exercise 8
thanks
wrote...
12 years ago
This review sheet questions seem really tricky! I really need some help with these. Please let me view your attachments.
wrote...
12 years ago
Alana could you please link me to the forum with the answers because i cant find it &  also anyone help me with exercise 8 ?
wrote...
12 years ago
16. Describe the activity of lipase with and without the addition of bile salts. Refer to Chart 4 for pH values.
   With the addition of bile salts , lipase digest the fat more efficiently

17. Is the activity of bile a chemical or a physical process? Explain.
   Chemical because bile is a chemical which contains salts and is secreted from the gallbladder
18. What pH resulted in the maximum pancreatic lipase activity? How does this optimal pH correlate to the enzyme’s location in the body?
   4.4-5.5, lipase is present in the duodenum, stomach and small intestine
19. Explain whether or not we can determine fat hydrolysis in tube 5. Why or why not?
There was no fat hydrolysis at pH 2.0 at tube 5 where is the pH didn’t drop.
20. What is the substrate in this experiment? What subunits does lipase form?
   Vegetable oil, fatty acids and glycerol
wrote...
12 years ago
i need the answers to 39b. due tomorrow. help!!!!
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
i need the answers to 39b. due tomorrow. help!!!!

Start a new topic, post the question.
wrote...
12 years ago
1. 7.0,Salivary is most effective at a pH of 7.0 evolves to function in breaking down carbohydrates in the mouth
2. Used a negative control to detect if amylase was contaminated with maltose
3. It was denatured, Boiling destroys protein structure
4. The substrate of amylase is starch and subunit product is reducing sugar
5. No. Amylase is specific for starch and does not digest down cellulose
6. Freezing does not change the structure of the enzyme and so it had no effect on the activity of amylase
7. The bacterial suspension has cellulose, the enzyme that specifically digest cellulose
8. The substrate of peptidase is a protein and in the simulations it was a synthetic protein called BAPNA
9. 2.0, It correlates good with the gastric environment
10.  Boiling denatures the enzyme
11.  No digested BAPNA was found with pepsin or with deionized water; there was a negative spectrophotomer result
12.  BAPNA, usual substrate is protein, the subunits are amino acids
13.  Decreasing incubationtime causes decreased optical density
14.  Reduced opyicaldensity; decreased rate of enzymatic
15.  Because 37 C is body temperature
16.  Refer to Chart 4 for pH values.Lipase was more effective in the presence of bile salts
17.  physical process, because it breaks up the fat
18.  7.0
19.  The fat hydrolysis in tube 5 is determined because we know the pH and I did not see a reduction in pH
20.  fats or vegetable oils
21.  fatty acids
This is my first post.  I know it it is probably to late for you but hopefully it will help others.

Alyssa,  jellow7
wrote...
12 years ago
1. 7.0
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1102 People Browsing
 119 Signed Up Today
Gallery

Your Opinion