r
d
l
a
krl krl
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Contrast the two explanatory styles that people use in responding to bad events. Explain the relationship of each style to health.
Read 695 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Hi krl, might this help?

Personal (internal vs. external)

this involves how one explains the cause of an event. People experiencing events may see themselves as the cause; that is, they have internalised the cause for the event. Example: "I always forget to make that turn" (internal) as opposed to "That turn can sure sneak up on you" (external).

Permanent (stable vs. unstable)

this involves how one explains the extent of the cause. People may see a situation as unchangeable, e.g., "I always lose my keys" or "I never forget a face".

Pervasive (global vs. local/specific)

this involves how one explains the extent of the effects. People may see a situation as affecting all aspects of life, e.g., "I can't do anything right" or "Everything I touch seems to turn to gold".

People who generally tend to blame themselves for negative events, believe that such events will continue indefinitely, and let such events affect many aspects of their lives display what is called a pessimistic explanatory style[citation needed]. Conversely, people who generally tend to blame others for negative events, believe that such events will end soon, and do not let such events affect too many aspects of their lives display what is called an optimistic explanatory style.

Source  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explanatory_style
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1053 People Browsing
 128 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?