t
i
r
r
RiniWini RiniWini
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
8 years ago
I'm doing a case study and the patient has excessive vomiting, sodium loss, fluid loss. The question I'm having trouble with is:
"Explain how a loss of sodium ions contributes to dehydration."

My textbook is a little bit foggy on this, or maybe I'm just having a tough time grasping the concept based on how its worded.

This is what I understand so far: Sodium is a key player in osmotic pressure as it's the main solute component of extracellular fluid... so I'm thinking of sodium goes, water goes along with it as it's attracted to the sodium that left the body? Is that roughly correct?

Secondly it's asking "Describe the compensations for the losses of fluid and electrolytes that should be occuring in the patient"

I'm completely stumped on that one.. I was thinking that fluid would be drawn from both the extracellular and intracellular compartments to compensate for fluid loss within the body but I'm not sure if that's right.. also I don't fully understand what would be happening with the electrolytes?

Thank you all in advance for any help you can offer me to clarify this issue!
Read 824 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
8 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free