t
i
r
r
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
By which mechanism does an increase in intracellular Na+ lead to an inrease in exocytosis?
Read 256 times
3 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Exocytosis, which occurs when intracellular vesicles fuse with the plasma membrane, provides a route by which membrane-impermeable molecules synthesized by cells, such as proteins, can be released into the extracellular fluid.  Moreover, it provides a way to replace portions of the plasma membrane that have been removed by endocytosis, and in the process, to add new membrane components.  The secretion of substances by exocytosis can often be triggered by stimuli to the cell that lead to an increase in cytosolic calcium concentration, a processes known as regulatory secretion.  This enables a cell to respond rapidly after the arrival of the stimulus.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
Hello bioman,

I am well aware of this concept. But what exactly is the answer here? Depolarization or regulatory secretion? The mechanism that leads to a rise in an intracellular Na+ concentration is depolarization, but this also leads to the influx of Ca2+ from the extracellular milieu and consequently neurotransmitter or hormone release. When they ask for the mechanism, is what I wrote right? Or are they asking for a specific title of this mechanism? =/
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Hi Ehd123, I thought the last part of the paragraph I provided answered the question, this part:

The secretion of substances by exocytosis can often be triggered by stimuli to the cell that lead to an increase in cytosolic calcium concentration, a processes known as regulatory secretion.  This enables a cell to respond rapidly after the arrival of the stimulus.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1360 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?