t
S
m
s
physics11 physics11
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, physics11
I've learned that in genetic variations, a certain individual animal acquires an usual trait, and if that trait is an aid in reproducing then it is passed down through the generations and is eventually turned into the norm. In other words, qualities that are helpful in reproducing are adopted by the entire species.

From this assumption I believe that I derived a false conclusion.

If what I stated above is true, then why is it that there isn't a mass overpopulation of species? It seems that there would be a genetic variation that would make it so that an individual animal would reproduce much more than the average and then that trait would lead for more children from that animal and it would be adopted by the entire species.
For example: let's say that in past times an average animal was responsible for 3 children. However it seems like if a genetic variation occurred in which an anaimal could reproduce a lot more children, such as 10, that gene would be passed down through the generations to become a norm. This would continue, through more and more variations until eventually the organisms had exhausted the materials of the planet that it was on.

Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks
Read 388 times
1 Reply