t
S
m
s
Lexie Lexie
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I want to know difference between aliphatic and aromatic compound. I want atleast 5 important difference.
The first one to give me 5 differences will get 10 points.
Read 6318 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Aliphatic compounds are non-aromatic organic compounds, in which carbon atoms are joined together in straight or branched chains rather than in benzene rings. The simplest aliphatic compound is methane (CH4). Aliphatics include not only the fatty acids and other derivatives of paraffin hydrocarbons (alkanes), but also unsaturated compounds, such as ethylene (the alkenes) and acetylene (the alkynes). The most frequently found non-carbon atoms bound to the carbon chain include hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, and various halides.

Aromatic compounds have:

A delocalized conjugated pi system, most commonly an arrangement of alternating single and double bonds

Coplanar structure, with all the contributing atoms in the same plane

Contributing atoms arranged in one or more rings

A number of pi delocalized electrons that is even, but not a multiple of 4. This is known as Hückel's rule. Permissible numbers of pi electrons include 6, 10, 14, and so on

Special reactivity in organic reactions such as electrophilic aromatic substitution and nucleophilic aromatic substitution
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1135 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?