t
i
r
r
lexes55 lexes55
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I thought I understood it, but then my chemistry teacher said that ZnCl2 was monoatomic.  what? its got 2 elements!  anyway, I was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me
Read 428 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
It's the ions which are monoatomic, not the compound.  

Zn2+   1 atom/ion    
(Cl-)2  1 type of atom/ion

SO4 (2-)  polyatomic
NO3(-)  polyatomic

HTH
wrote...
11 years ago
Your teacher should have said that each of its (three) ions (one Zn++ and two Cl-) are monoatomic.

An example of a polyatomic ion can be found in NH4Cl (ammonium choloride) or ZNSO4 (zinc sulfate), or of course, (NH4)2SO4 (ammonium sulfate).

The ammonium ion (NH4+) does not break down into separate monoatomic ions of nitrogen and hydrogen; each of the four hydrogen atoms is symmetrically arranged (in a tetrahedral fashion) around the central N and the charged is evenly distributed over the entire surface of the ion.

Likewise, SO4-- (sulfate ion) does not break down into separate monoatomic ions of sulfur or oxygen. It is likwise tetrahedral, but there is a double charge distributed over the surface (note: this is a correction; I previously described sulfate ion as if it were SO2--).

Hope this helps.

Rex, a physician, in the midwest
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1266 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352