d
l
a
s
Transgenic Rat Transgenic Rat
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
8 years ago
Ok, Just doing a self study of cell biology/biochem for my own enjoyment. Not in school. Don't plan on going. Would like to play around in a lab at some point with dna/different experiment though if that was ever possible. Mad scientist! 

So my question is that I'm trying to learn some cell biology and while the bigger points of cellular respiration are clear I think, the DETAILED GLCOLYTIC/CITRIC ACID cycle pathways are tedious filled with big words that are incredibly difficult to memorize.

My question is do you actually need to memorize all those DETAILED pathways(all the different enyzmes and where carbon atoms are attached to phospates ect) to further my understanding of molecular biology? Or is this just some weeding out process schools use for medical school. I can always look at a chart. I want to be able to read techincal research papers for fun and learn a ton of higher level molecular biology or do some experiments on my own? What do I need to know? What enyzmes should I know? Phosphofructokinase? Aldolase ect? Remember, I don't need to know anything for a test. I feel I'd forget most of this anyway in a year or two even if I did memorize it.I have a bad memory.

Here's an example of my current knowledge:
Cellular respiration oxidizes(slowly burns) glucose to create atp by slowly taking off electrons and the h20 and co2 are byproducts.

Glycolysis(o2 not required, takes place in cytoplasm)
Split a 6 carbon sugar into 3 carbons with a phospate group called pgal(2 atp used investment phase) then cleave off the phospate and you end up with pyruvate
End net result 2 atp, 2 nadh(used later in electron transport) 2 pyruvate
--->Oxidation of pyruvate to get ready for krebs--->electron transport chain. And on and on. You get the general idea of my knowledge.But of course there are 10 intermediate steps in glycolysis
Read 633 times
3 Replies