d
l
a
s
C_homes C_homes
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
A female heterozygous in both traits was crossed with a test cross male. The parent generation is illustrated in the following. (See attachment).

Choose the correct gene formula for each of the following locations on the Punnet Square. Enter as a four digit number.

Gene formula: Alleles 1, alleles 2, genotype 3, test cross male parents

-I'm stuck on how to get the test cross male
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 921 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
If she is a female heterozygote, she would be:

CcDd and here gametes would be

C   c
D   CD   cD
d   Cd   cd
C_homes Author
wrote...
8 years ago
I understand the female portion, but the male I'm not sure how to determine the Genotype
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
No idea, a testcross is performed with a known genotype in this case the female is CcDd, with an unknown genotype, so we don't know what the male is.
wrote...
8 years ago
What is the final answer for the four digit number?
wrote...
7 years ago
Still need help on this
wrote...
7 years ago
I'm finding it confusing too Undecided
wrote...
6 years ago
In a test cross, the test subject is always recessive for both traits so that you can determine the which dominant traits are in the other animal being crossed (the female in this case).

So the male would have a genotype of ccdd.

The first row of alleles on the male side is cd because a purnett's square always starts with the first letter of the first genotype and the first letter of the second genotype. That's why the female's first allele on the graph is CD, because in her genotype, CcDd, C is the first letter of her Cc gene and D is the first letter of her Dd genotype. 

The second allele on the graph for the female labelled "alleles 1" would be Cd, as a purnett's square uses the first letter of the first genotype and the second letter of the second genotype in the second row.

Genotype three would be a cross between cd and cD which would result in a genotype of ccDd.

As a result, the number combination is:
Alleles 1 = 3
Alleles 2 = 1
Genotype 3 = 9
Test cross male parent: = 7
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  799 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274