a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
8 years ago
According to the Mayo Clinic, decreased sun exposure has been associated with a drop in serotonin that can lead to SAD. The light-induced effects of serotonin are triggered by sunlight that goes through the eye. Sunlight cues special areas in the retina, which triggers the release of serotonin.

"Expose yourself to lots of bright light during the day, which will boost your ability to sleep at night, as well as your mood and alertness during daylight."

I would like to know on why exposing yourself to bright light during the day would improve sleeping at night.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 544 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
8 years ago
Could have to do with resetting the sleep cycle. I know that when I can't fall asleep in the middle of the night, I turn the room lights on and miraculously fall asleep minutes later.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
8 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, oem7110
Could have to do with resetting the sleep cycle. I know that when I can't fall asleep in the middle of the night, I turn the room lights on and miraculously fall asleep minutes later.

Resetting the wake cycle may be a good explanation during the day only, but turning on the lights at night would reduce melatonin, which disturb sleep and wake cycles during sleeping.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>

Post Merge: 8 years ago

Sunlight cues special areas in the retina, which triggers the release of serotonin.
For maintain enough serotonin levels, how long should I watch Sun rise and Sun set by exposing bright light during daytime.

Referring to following articles, I would like to know on what the safe amount of light for a specific and regular length of time / wavelength range is on Light therapy.

"Light therapy can help someone “re-set” a clock that is off. Regular sleep patterns help to keep the clock set at the new time. Light therapy is only part of a treatment plan that should be guided by a doctor who is familiar with sleep disorders.

Light therapy is used to expose your eyes to intense but safe amounts of light for a specific and regular length of time. In many places, sunlight is not available at the proper time to be used as treatment.

Artificial light may be used to affect the body clock in the same way that sunlight does. New advances continue to be made in this field. "
http://www.sleepeducation.org/treatment-therapy/bright-light-therapy/

How do you feel when you get enough bright light for today without any measurement?
Any suggestions?

Blue light exposure is important to human beings. Blue light with a peak at around 460 ‐ 480nm regulates the biological clock, alertness and metabolic processes.

Without sunny day, can I look at following image to expect rising enough serotonin levels?

I would like to know more on how serotonin effect hippocampus for long term memory.
Any suggestions?

Somehow I think that good feeling / happy come from making a new connection within brain's cell for long term memory growth, does it make sense?
Any suggestions?

I would like to know on what make brain's cell talk to each other and what make them not talk to each other, what kind of chemical reaction is going on here?

Please join for discussion :>

I would like to know more on how serotonin effect hippocampus for long term memory.
Any suggestions?

Does anyone have more materials relate on how Serotonin keeps connection from Gut to Brain?

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1108 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4