t
S
m
s
victoria1 victoria1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
Use Leonardo's table of chords to solve the following: Suppose a given chord in a circle of diameter 10 is 8 rods, 3 feet, 16 2/7 unciae. Find the length of the arc cut off by the chord.
Read 1616 times
7 Replies
Replies
wrote...
7 years ago
FOLLOW THIS Arc length= rx, where x = angle in radians. 60 = 12x, x = 5 A radius will bisect the chord at a 90 degree angle and also bisect the angle at the centre, so sin (x/2) = 1/2 chord / radius 12 sin 2.5 = 1/2 chord, chord = 24 sin(2.5) = 14.36 You can do the second one by realizing that the two large triangles have a side in common. You then find common size angles by knowing that all the angles in any triangle add up to 180. Just work with the combinations and you can find two or more equal angles in the two large triangles. Two angles and a side equal means the triangles are equal, so you prove it that way.
Answer accepted by topic starter
sem1991sem1991
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
7 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
mamalak7