t
S
m
s
magni243 magni243
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
I had tried to find this answer online, but we never went over anything like this in class. I know that this acid inhibits glutamate, but I have no clue what it would do to the post-synaptic neuron.

Thank You in advance for the help.
Read 326 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
7 years ago
The effect of inhibition of the high-affinity uptake of glutamate on the extracellular concentration of amino acids and on neuronal excitability was studied in vivo in the hippocampus of the rat. The dentate gyrus or CA1 field were perfused through a dialytrode with Krebs-Ringer-bicarbonate or dihydrokainic acid solutions. The spontaneous electrical activity and evoked field potentials were recorded concomitantly at dendritic or somatic levels. The results showed that with dihydrokainic acid: the extracellular concentrations of both glutamate and taurine were markedly increased in both areas of the hippocampus, the response of taurine being greater in CA1, while other amino acids were unaffected; in the dentate gyrus, the field excitatory postsynaptic potential was decreased while the population spikes were augmented, indicating an increased excitability of the neuronal population. In CA1, both the excitatory postsynaptic potential and spikes were reduced in amplitude. These results indicate that changes in the extracellular concentration of endogenous glutamate influences excitability of the tissue and that inhibition of the uptake processes for putative amino acid neurotransmitters increases the postsynaptic action of synaptically-released endogenous amino acids.
Source  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2882438
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  858 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?