a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, oem7110
LDL Cholesterol and Triglycerides cause too much trouble on our health. We eat vegetable, fruits, green tea, Oats, Red wine, Salmon & fatty fish, Nuts everyday, do we need their antioxidant substance mainly to reduce LDL Cholesterol and Triglycerides within our body?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Read 825 times
18 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Antioxidants do not reduce any of these things (do they?) As far as I know, antioxidants work by giving electrons to free radicals; the extra electron stabilizes them, preventing them from causing further damage to the cells in the body.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Antioxidants do not reduce any of these things (do they?) As far as I know, antioxidants work by giving electrons to free radicals; the extra electron stabilizes them, preventing them from causing further damage to the cells in the body.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3022060/
"The antioxidants which inhibit oxidation of LDL and HDL should be effective for prevention of atherosclerosis and related diseases and numerous studies have been performed to examine the beneficial effect of antioxidants."

Referring to above description, if I take antioxidants, which only prevent atherosclerosis and related diseases by reducing LDL to be oxidation, but I still get high LDL within my body, would it be correct?

If I want to reduce high LDL within my body at the first place, then what kind of approach should I take? Foods, exercise? and how do they reduce LDL levels instead of doing the roles of antioxidants?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Referring to above description, if I take antioxidants, which only prevent atherosclerosis and related diseases by reducing LDL to be oxidation, but I still get high LDL within my body, would it be correct?

Exactly. It doesn't prevent LDL formation, but it prevents their oxidation.

If I want to reduce high LDL within my body at the first place, then what kind of approach should I take? Foods, exercise? and how do they reduce LDL levels instead of doing the roles of antioxidants?

Regular physical exercise is a deterrent of cardiovascular disease and its anti-atherogenic effects have been described in human studies. On the contrary, physical inactivity has adverse consequences on cardiovascular risk, due in part to detrimental effects of serum lipoprotein concentration, namely LDL.

See this: http://www.learn.ppdictionary.com/exercise_and_lipoproteins7.htm

Great questions.
oemBiology Author
wrote...

More video would be coming ...
Post Merge: 7 years ago

Referring to following description of LDL, if the level of LDL is high and I can avoid LDL to be oxidized, it should be no problem. On the other words, if the level of LDL is low, but LDL are easily be oxidized within our body, then we still cannot prevent atherosclerosis and related diseases at all. 

On the other words, if I can avoid LDL to be oxidized, does LDL gets less chance to go directly within the inner lining (endothelium) of any artery in the body? and LDL go back to our liver for storage? would it be correct?

https://www.verywell.com/what-is-oxidized-ldl-698079

Once LDL becomes oxidized, it goes directly within the inner lining (endothelium) of any artery in the body, including the carotid artery, coronary artery or the arteries that supply your legs and arms with blood.

Once there, it encourages the accumulation of inflammatory cells, such as macrophages, and platelets at the site of the vessel and promotes their adhesion to the damaged area. More macrophages, cholesterol and other lipids begin to accumulate at the site, forming a plaque that begins to grow thicker.

Over time, this can slow -- or completely restrict -- the amount of blood flow that travels to one or more areas of the body. This can result in a variety of health conditions, including coronary heart disease, peripheral vascular disease or dementia.

Post Merge: 7 years ago

Referring to following articles, I would like to know on whether red wine can reduce LDL level or play the roles of antioxidants, which reduce the chance of LDL to be oxidation.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/red-wine-lower-cholesterol-9040.html

Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol
Low-density lipoprotein, or LDL cholesterol, is commonly called bad cholesterol since it makes the buildup of cholesterol and blockage in your arteries more likely, increasing your risk for heart disease. Consuming the antioxidant resveratrol, which is found in red wine, may decrease LDL cholesterol, according to a study published in "Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation" in 2012. If you don't drink red wine, you can get resveratrol from red, purple or black grapes; peanuts; cranberries and blueberries.

High-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol
While you want your LDL cholesterol to be low, your high-density lipoprotein, or HDL cholesterol, should be high since this type of cholesterol helps protect your arteries from cholesterol buildup and lower your heart disease risk. Both the alcohol and the antioxidants, called polyphenols, found in red wine increase your HDL cholesterol, according to a study published in "Clinical Nutrition" in April 2013.
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Referring to following description of LDL, if the level of LDL is high and I can avoid LDL to be oxidized, it should be no problem. On the other words, if the level of LDL is low, but LDL are easily be oxidized within our body, then we still cannot prevent atherosclerosis and related diseases at all.

That's true, but the lower the number of LDL, generally the more healthy you are in terms of cholesterol and the less likely it will be oxidized.

On the other words, if I can avoid LDL to be oxidized, does LDL gets less chance to go directly within the inner lining (endothelium) of any artery in the body? and LDL go back to our liver for storage? would it be correct?

Some people have poor cholesterol due to genetics. To reduce high levels of LDL, you can take medication or eat optimally to reduce its effect on your body, namely the inner line of your arteries. There are many ways of doing this, i.e. fresh juices (high in antioxidants) and high fiber diet.
oemBiology Author
wrote...

That's true, but the lower the number of LDL, generally the more healthy you are in terms of cholesterol and the less likely it will be oxidized.

Some people have poor cholesterol due to genetics. To reduce high levels of LDL, you can take medication or eat optimally to reduce its effect on your body, namely the inner line of your arteries. There are many ways of doing this, i.e. fresh juices (high in antioxidants) and high fiber diet.

Referring to below images, I would like to know on whether following compcepts are correct or not:

• Once LDL is oxidizated, fat material (Plaque) would be easily deposited into the vessel wall, so we need antioxidants to prevent further fat material (Plaque) accumulate inside the vessel wall. is Plaque the oxidizated LDL?

• High fiber can help to remove fat material (Plaque) inside the vessel wall by physically rubbing to remove greasy and sticky fat material (Plaque) away

• Regular physical exercise provides a physical movement, which help to shake fat material (Plaque) off inside the vessel wall. Would it be correct?

• Once fat materials (Plaque) are removed by rubbing and shaking the vessel wall, would it go back into Liver for recycle process? what can help to reduce the level of LDL within Liver's factory?

Referring to following articles, Stress produce more energy in the form of metabolic fuels, which cause the liver to produce and secrete more of the bad cholesterol, LDL. I would like to know on how stress emotion make liver to produce and secrete more of LDL,

http://www.everydayhealth.com/cholesterol/experts-how-does-stress-contribute-to-cholesterol.aspx
Stress is known to increase cholesterol levels and in particular the bad LDL cholesterol. The amount of stress in your life isn't as important as how you deal with it. The more anger and hostility that stress produces in you, the higher (and worse) your LDL and triglyceride levels tend to be. Stress encourages the body to produce more energy in the form of metabolic fuels, which cause the liver to produce and secrete more of the bad cholesterol, LDL. Also, stress may interfere with the body's ability to clear lipids.

wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Plaque the oxidizated LDL?

Here's the way I view it. Excess fats and cholesterol (LDL) in our blood can irritate the inner lining of the arteries, causing many small injuries to form. These injuries attract blood clotting elements (platelets and white blood cells) to repair the damage and stimulate growth of muscle cells and eventually small scars inside the arteries begin to form. These scars are constantly exposed to the blood containing high levels of fat and cholesterol and they begin to swell. Each individual incident, and there can be hundreds, results in a collection of material that is called plaque. Plaque, which blocks the flow of blood, is made mostly of cholesterol.

High fiber can help to remove fat material (Plaque) inside the vessel wall by physically rubbing to remove greasy and sticky fat material (Plaque) away

Fiber reduces cholesterol by attaching to cholesterol found in the bile. The attached bile, which contains the precursors for cholesterol, gets flushed out by pooing it instead of being reabsorbed by out intestines.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Once LDL is oxidizated, fat material (Plaque) would be easily deposited into the vessel wall,

Here's the way I view it. Excess fats and cholesterol (LDL) in our blood can irritate the inner lining of the arteries, causing many small injuries to form. These injuries attract blood clotting elements (platelets and white blood cells) to repair the damage and stimulate growth of muscle cells and eventually small scars inside the arteries begin to form. These scars are constantly exposed to the blood containing high levels of fat and cholesterol and they begin to swell. Each individual incident, and there can be hundreds, results in a collection of material that is called plaque. Plaque, which blocks the flow of blood, is made mostly of cholesterol.

I would like to know on how excess fats and cholesterol (LDL) in our blood can irritate the inner lining of the arteries, causing many small injuries to form, would it happen if and only if LDL is oxidizated? and what cause many small injuries to form? would it be free radicals?

Fiber reduces cholesterol by attaching to cholesterol found in the bile. The attached bile, which contains the precursors for cholesterol, gets flushed out by pooing it instead of being reabsorbed by out intestines.

When I eat high fiber foods, what kind of fiber is able to penetrate into bloodstream? so fiber attaches cholesterol and then pass them through blood vessels to the bile.  Furthermore, I would like to know on how to improve the efficiency of bile carrying excess cholesterol out of the body and ‘dumps’ it into the gastrointestinal tract where it can be passed out with other waste matter.

wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I would like to know on how excess fats and cholesterol (LDL) in our blood can irritate the inner lining of the arteries, causing many small injuries to form, would it happen if and only if LDL is oxidizated? and what cause many small injuries to form? would it be free radicals?

As far as my knowledge goes, yes - it is due to the oxidation. In addition, healthy arteries are made of muscle and a semi-flexible tissue that stretches like elastic when the heart pumps blood through them. The more forcefully that blood pumps, the more the arteries stretch to allow blood to easily flow. Over time, if the force of the blood flow is often high, the tissue that makes up the walls of arteries gets stretched beyond its healthy limit and damaged. The overstretching can cause tiny tears in the blood vessels that leave scar tissue on the walls of arteries and veins. These tears and the scar tissue are like nets, and can catch debris such as cholesterol or blood cells traveling in the bloodstream.

There are two types of fibers, one that you can digest, and the other that acts as roughage. The fiber that can't be digest will attach to the bile that is released from the liver which is rich in cholesterol precursors. This fiber passed through the intestines, and since it cannot be taken into the bloodstream, gets released as waste.

Furthermore, I would like to know on how to improve the efficiency of bile carrying excess cholesterol out of the body and ‘dumps’ it into the gastrointestinal tract where it can be passed out with other waste matter.

That is controlled by a diet high in fiber.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
7 years ago

There are two types of fibers, one that you can digest, and the other that acts as roughage. The fiber that can't be digest will attach to the bile that is released from the liver which is rich in cholesterol precursors. This fiber passed through the intestines, and since it cannot be taken into the bloodstream, gets released as waste.

I would like to confirm on following issues:
  • Is Water-soluble dietary fiber able to take into the bloodstream? such as Oats
  • Is Non-water-soluble dietary fiber not able to take into the bloodstream? such as Whole wheat bran cereals

Water-soluble dietary fiber functions:
  • Delayed gastric emptying
  • To prevent a sharp rise in blood sugar
  • Reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol)

Non-water-soluble dietary fiber functions:
  • Increase stool volume
  • Promote intestinal peristalsis
  • Prevent constipation and hemorrhoids
  • Diverticulitis and prevention of colorectal cancer
  • Control and pH balance of the intestinal tract

Furthermore, I would like to know on how to improve the efficiency of bile carrying excess cholesterol out of the body and ‘dumps’ it into the gastrointestinal tract where it can be passed out with other waste matter.

That is controlled by a diet high in fiber.

I would like to know on whether water-soluble or non-water-soluble dietary fiber can improve the efficiency of bile carrying excess cholesterol out of the body and ‘dumps’ it into the gastrointestinal tract where it can be passed out with other waste matter.

wrote...
Staff Member
7 years ago
Hi bio_man, I think you're mistaken, dietary fibers are not digested at al. Some fibers provide bulking, which aid in regularity. Other types of fiber thicken the contents of the intestinal tract and help to reduce the absorption of cholesterol, glucose and other nutrients. Some fiber is fermented in the large intestine by the resident bacteria, which help to maintain colon health as well as contributing to health and wellness through the biological benefits of short-chain fatty acids.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
OK, fair enough, thanks for pointing that out.

I would like to know on whether water-soluble or non-water-soluble dietary fiber can improve the efficiency of bile carrying excess cholesterol out of the body and ‘dumps’ it into the gastrointestinal tract where it can be passed out with other waste matter.

I guess both do this.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Some fibers provide bulking, which aid in regularity. Other types of fiber thicken the contents of the intestinal tract and help to reduce the absorption of cholesterol, glucose and other nutrients. Some fiber is fermented in the large intestine by the resident bacteria, which help to maintain colon health as well as contributing to health and wellness through the biological benefits of short-chain fatty acids.

I would like to confirm whether following concept is correct or not:
  • Is Water-soluble dietary fiber able to take into the bloodstream? such as Oats
  • Is Non-water-soluble dietary fiber not able to take into the bloodstream? such as Whole wheat bran cereals

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1159 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741