l
t
S
m
s
mariahneu mariahneu
wrote...
13 years ago
I am in AP Biology and we need to make a model of a fluid mosaic model (cell membrane) that includes:

1. Phospholipid bilayer
2. Integral proteins
3. Peripheral proteins
4. Gated channels
5. Protein Pumps

We also have to label the model parts.

Any ideas for things to use to make this and how to accomplish this feat? I can only think of cotton swabs to resemble the phospholipid bilayer, but I'm not sure what to stick them to or how I would do that; any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Read 17390 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
mariahneu Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Also, I can't find a picture of a cell membrane that features all of those components. Anyone know where a picture exists that includes all of those features of a cell membrane so I can use it for reference?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
Here's a picture and a video:

So I suppose what you can do it get Styrofoam balls from the dollar store or discount store and paint them your favourite colour. This will be the phosphorylation heads. Get pipe cleaners (Shown below) and make these the phosolipid tails. Get different sized  Styrofoam balls and place them in-between the larger ones to indicate the cholesterol that is embedded in the plasma membrane to make it more fluid. Also don't forget about the integral proteins. Label all these parts with toothpicks and paper (like a flag).
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
mariahneu Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thanks!

Where could I put the Gated channels and the Protein Pumps?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Well, with the same Styrofoam balls, paint them a different colour and put holes in them to indicate the flow of ions. Place 4 or 5 in-between the phospholipid heads.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Oh, you can also use marshmallows Face with Stuck-out Tongue
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
sjayen
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  813 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images