r
d
l
a
teikowouf teikowouf
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, teikowouf
Hello, I'm wondering what subfields of biology would most benefit me if I want to pursue astrobiology. or example, the school I'm interested in, University of Washington, offers physiology, plant biology, molecular/cellular/developmental biology, ecology/evolution/conservation, general biology, and minors in marine biology and paleobiology. (I'm not sure if microbiology falls under any of those).

The area of astrobiology I'm most interested in is potential life in subsurface oceans of other planets and moons (such as Europa). Because of this, I think a minor in marine biology sounds logical. Any thoughts on the major?
Post Merge: 7 years ago

P.S., any field that exposes me the most to extremophiles would be my best bet.
Read 246 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
That's a very specialized program and most of the information currently to date is pure speculation. Technically to get a job like this you'd need to have a degree in biology and then be hired by NASA (or alike). The majority of schools do not offer a program specifically design to make you an expert in this field. With the knowledge we have, you could fit it all into one textbook.
teikowouf Author
wrote...
7 years ago
The UW does offer a graduate program in astrobiology. And yes, working for NASA is the entire point. As far as alien life goes, pretty much everyone is looking at Europa right now as the best candidate in the Solar System. NASA is even planning a mission there soon that will potentially probe for life. They obviously have experts on the subject.

I'm just asking, considering my interest, what would be the best subfield to major in that would benefit me most in astrobiology? 
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Physics and biology would be the most important. A close second would be chemistry. I don't mean to be a life-coach here, but I'd consider studying something where job opportunities aren't scare.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1121 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images