t
S
m
s
DenditicGirl188 DenditicGirl188
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
This is a totally random question and I am a big noob.

My question is:

If a drug Inhibits the BINDING of Candida Albicans to Monocyte-derived DENDRITIC cells does it mean it protects you against Candida Albicans infections?

There is this medicine that is used to "improve" the immune system. I was reading an article about it, and it said what I mentioned in the title, and I was wondering if that meant the drug could also potentially prevents Candida Albicans (Thrush infections) in people.

This is the excerpt that is interesting:

"(DCs = Dendritic Cells) IF-S inhibits C. albicans and A. fumigatus binding to human DCs.Given the origin of the polysaccharide moiety of AM3 (IF-S), we initially set up an experiment to analyze whether IF-S could affect the capture of pathogenic strains of Candida by DCs. IF-S inhibited the binding of C. albicans to human MDDCs in a dose-dependent manner and to a similar extent as a function-blocking anti-DC-SIGN monoclonal antibody (Fig. 1A and C). Furthermore, IF-S also diminished the number of fungi bound per cell, as evidenced by the reduction of the mean fluorescence intensity of the cell population (Fig. 1B). Besides, IF-S reduced the binding of A. fumigatus conidia to human MDDCs in a dose-dependent manner, and the degree of inhibition was comparable to that obtained with equivalent concentrations of S. cerevisiae mannan or with a blocking antibody against DC-SIGN antibody (Fig. 1D). Therefore, the polysaccharide component of AM3 inhibits the DC-SIGN-dependent binding of C. albicans and A. fumigatus to MDDCs."

So to conclude, does this mean the use of this drug (AM3 - IF-S) could prevent/help get rid of Candida Albicans infections causing Thrush?

If C. Albicans is intracellular, then this medicine would help prevent it, but if it isn't, then it looks like the medicine would actually HELP the C. Albicans fungus. (I am a complete noob this is noob reasoning).

This is not for self-use, it's simply curiosity.
Read 743 times