r
d
l
a
galpinj galpinj
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, galpinj
So I'm reviewing plants at the moment, and have always had trouble keeping some terms straight in my head. I've looked at them more closely now, and have found that a couple don't really make sense!

Sporophyte:
(2n) diploid stage in life cycle

Gametophye: (1n) haploid stage in life cycle

Sporangia: the organ/cell where spores are produced

Gametangia: the organ/cell where gametes are produced

So far, so good; but, it starts to get pretty confusing here:

Gametophore: The bearer of the sex organs in gametophytes (based on the attached image, it looks like this refers namely to the leafy structure and not rhizoids/other parts of the gametophyte). This encloses the gametangia?

Sporophore? : If there is a gametophore, wouldn't it stand to reason that there is a sporophore? Perhaps the flower in angiosperms? However, when i search the word I only find results in French, or a reference to the spore producing bodies of fungi (sporocarp)

Would the counterpart to gametophore maybe be a sporophyll?

What would the capsule be in bryophytes? A sporangium or the sporophore?

This may be semantics, but I find it really confusing! Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you!

Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 411 times
2 Replies