r
d
l
a
bruin bruin
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, bruin
This isn't a homework question, just something I've been curious about.  I'm not enrolled in any biology course.

When there is an interruption in the supply of O2 or organic fuel molecules to our cells (or an interruption in both, such as when blood flow is interrupted), it's obvious that cellular respiration will have to cease as the process runs on O2 and organic fuel.

Thus, whatever ATP a cell already has should be fairly quickly depleted, and cellular activity will cease.

But why does this lead to our death?  Why doesn't this lack of ATP (and consequent lack of the cell to be able to DO anything) simply lead to some kind of stasis?  Rather than irreversible tissue damage and/or death of the organism, why don't we simply see a situation where muscles can't contract, nerves can't fire due to loss of Na/K-ATPase pump, etc...but with the possibility of recover once the supply of O2 and fuel is restored?  Most machines seem to work this way...when I unplug my computer from it's power supply, it doesn't cause permanent damage to its circuits!

In other words, there must be at least some cellular functions that need to be done without interruption in order to avoid permanent damage to the cells, leading to the death of the organism...What cellular functions are like these?  Is it that the proteins or other components start to break down, perhaps without some kind of ATP-powered enzymatic maintenance going on?
Read 221 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
But why does this lead to our death?  Why doesn't this lack of ATP (and consequent lack of the cell to be able to DO anything) simply lead to some kind of stasis?  Rather than irreversible tissue damage and/or death of the organism, why don't we simply see a situation where muscles can't contract, nerves can't fire due to loss of Na/K-ATPase pump, etc...but with the possibility of recover once the supply of O2 and fuel is restored?  Most machines seem to work this way...when I unplug my computer from it's power supply, it doesn't cause permanent damage to its circuits!

Hi Bruin,

That form of regulation already exists. A lack of energy results in a slowing down of our organ systems (i.e. lower heart rate, blood circulation is reduced, etc.) This is because cells slow down collectively within your tissues/organs. However, all living things have a breaking point.
wrote...
7 years ago
One of the very good questions I have seen here. I will try to figure it out in few days.
wrote...
Valued Member
7 years ago
what a good question ! Without oxygen your cells will continue to produce energy by breaking down glucose just not a lot of energy. most organs can survive without O2. your heart for example will burn anything and everything it can for fuel it technically doesn;t need O2 to do its job. However the brain is extremely sensitive to the loss of O2 it relies on it solely for energy and fuel. which is why there is such a small window for stroke victims and a rather large window for heart attack victims. O2 does more than just fuel our bodies tho.  it also maintains our PH balance. without oxygen there is no way to release CO2 which is produced by cells  creating energy. as the CO2 builds we become more and more acidic. and Proteins denature (fall apart) in acidic solutions. The cells begin to unravel and self destruct because the protein structures fall apart in an acidic solution. So basically it in;t the lack of O2 that kills us it is the increase in acidity which unravels the proteins.

stasis would be possible if you could cycle out the CO2 somehow, maintain a proper ph level and supply adequate glucose
Orthopedic Physical Therapist 
B.S. Kinesiology and Human Performance
DPT
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, Nikhil verma
I was not thinking about what would happen if there is lack of oxygen I was thinking about why do we die in the absence of fuel that is food !!!. It is a good question
Now I think the cell die because of Entropy that is everything changes from a ordered state to a disordered state. Living beings stay in ordered state because they get constant supply of energy if they don't get the energy they tends to disorder I.e. Death
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  877 People Browsing
 180 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328