t
S
m
s
ild ild
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
List as many differences and similarities between a shark and a whale (no specipic types).
Read 7571 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The only similarities are the streamlined bodily structure, which is adapted for life in the ocean in order to swim after prey as well as escape predators. All sharks have teeth, as do toothed whales.

The differences are vast, namely that sharks are cartiliginous fish, so they absorb oxygen through their gills, lay eggs and do not care for their offspring. Whales, on the other hand, are mammals so must breathe air, they do this using a blowhole on their backs so they needn't come far up to the surface to breathe. Also, sharks are active predators, pursuing fish, squid, sea mammals and crustaceans, whereas certain species of whale (baleen whales) filter their main prey  (krill) from the water.

Sharks tails are also vertical in structure, whereas whales' are horizontal. All sharks have dorsal fins, whereas some whales do not.
wrote...
11 years ago
the biggest one is that whales r mammels, meaning the give birth to live babies and care for them until they r full grown. sharks lay eggs and then go have dinner. whales breath air, sharks breath water. now one that u reall dont notice is the way they move thier tales. sharks move their tail from side to side, whales slap their tale up and down. pretty cool am i right? i think its probably like that becuz i would think up and down is better for going to the surface and jumping out of the water.
wrote...
11 years ago
The differences are that sharks are fish and whales are mammals.
The similarities are that sharks will swim just below the surface showing it's dorsal fins which are warning signs and whales will swim just below the surface showing it's blow hole and then diving again.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  962 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 156